Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Rear Alignment issue for 2008 Hyundai Elantra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Default Rear Alignment issue for 2008 Hyundai Elantra?

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who has been told that their Elantra was built out of alignment. My car has been at a Hyundai dealership for 2 weeks, and they have finally informed me there is nothing they can do to fix the way the tires ride on edge because the car was built that way.

The reading on my alignment printout from a reputable alignment shop shows that the camber is at -1 3/4 on both the right and left sides of the rear. I was originally told by the dealership that my car was out of specs and they needed to proceed further to their technicians/engineers. Then, I received a phone call that the car was actually within specifications and is naturally designed to ride that way. When discussing the issue with my mechanic and alignment mechanic they informed me that due to this structure of the frame it will cause my tires to wear out and they can not properly align my car.

Is there anyone else out there that has this same issue, or has noticed their tires tilt in at the top?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Simple solution is to drop the camber to "0",,,, no more than -1/2*....

Specs is a bunch of crap. I want to see numbers that is square, no excessive spread, and straight.

Set the camber to as mentioned above, and total the rear toe at no more than .08* total (0.04 per side) with thrust = to 0.0 at rear, even out your front camber with the natural slop of the knuckle to strut bolt holes, keep it to less than 1/2* spread side to side, set front toe to 0.08 max at front, and you will have a nice responsive feel to the steering and decrease your tire wear issues considerably.

Got your current numbers of the align you riding on now ?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM

I am not a mechanic but from what I understood that they told me at the dealership was: "the car was built that way and they cannot adjust the camber"

The front left side is: -1/2 degree Camber, -3/64in toe
The front right side is: -7/8 degree camber, -1/32in toe

The left rear is: -1 3/4 degree camber, 11/64in toe
The right rear is -1 3/4 degree camber, 3/64in toe

Like I stated, I was told that the rear cambers could not be adjusted because the car was manufactured that way. I am only going by what they told me. If you have any suggestions I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by alatini
I am not a mechanic but from what I understood that they told me at the dealership was: "the car was built that way and they cannot adjust the camber"

The front left side is: -1/2 degree Camber, -3/64in toe
The front right side is: -7/8 degree camber, -1/32in toe

Front has .3* camber spread, nothing exciting there, though I do not like toe-out, gives car a loose feel, turn wheel slightly before car reacts.. I prefer toe-in, touch the wheel, cars reacts quicker

The left rear is: -1 3/4 degree camber, 11/64in toe
The right rear is -1 3/4 degree camber, 3/64in toe

On the rear, I prefer minimal camber, and near "0" to no more than 0.08* toe in, too much toe in and rear will come around rather quick, Toyota Camry used to blaze tires on rear and over-steer something fierce with their gross amount of toe-in..

Like I stated, I was told that the rear cambers could not be adjusted because the car was manufactured that way. I am only going by what they told me. If you have any suggestions I appreciate it.

Now to answer your question... I did grab '08 Elantra service manual before I left... it states the rear camber is set at manufacture, and is non-adjustable... replace parts to correct camber if out of spec...

Get this,, the manual calls 1 degree, +/- 1/2 degree.... sound like there could be a wide open market for somebody to sell adjustable links or what ever to re-camber the rear of the Elantra to get closer to "0" degree...

We did not have any "HD" Elantras in today that I seen after reading your post, but now I will have to keep eyes open and go look at 1 to see what "could" be done...
Thanks,
Andrew
I will try to look at a "HD" Elantra to see how it is put together.... BTW, to get the rear caliper bracket off, you need to remove 1 of the arms, so I would take and early on remove the bolts, coat them with Mobil-1 Synthetic lube so they not seize in the bushings..

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it, you answered a lot of questions for me.

If you find out anything more, please post it!

Thanks again

Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 PM

Had an HD model in the other day for oil change, so I went over to other techs area and snooped around..

Only way to get camber reduced would be to shorten the lower arm, as it is fixed length/mounting at knucle and crossmember... problem with that is the rear spring sits on that arm..

Rear uses (3) links to hold the spindle in place and allow travel.. somebody would have to likley cut the rear lower arm, and replace end with something similar to the adjustable link used in a "4 link" race car mounting, then end result would be a degree of noise that only a performance minded person would not take issue with.. or just find a way to bend the arm to make it shorter to get desired camber.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Thank you for the posts. This is my car too. The rear tire wear out on the edge and those who have looked at it say no adjustment.
What do you think of a X tire rotation?

Each set of tire we have had have wore out early. We have been able to get credit on the tire towards the next set. Any new information?

Old 10-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Default Tires and alignment issues

On my fifth set of tires(160,000) miles. Other than the tire issue this has been a great vehicle.I will report this as a vehicle defect and let the big boys handle it.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by missileone
On my fifth set of tires(160,000) miles. Other than the tire issue this has been a great vehicle.I will report this as a vehicle defect and let the big boys handle it.
So lets see, 160,000 miles on 5 sets of tires. That's an average of 32,000 miles per set of tires. I don't see a "tire issue". No defect.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Default Tires and alignment issues

Nova,I didn't say I had a tire issue. I said I was on my fifth set of tires at 160,000 . Two sets were suppose to last 160,000. I have a alignment problem genius.

Quick Reply: Rear Alignment issue for 2008 Hyundai Elantra?