Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Some questions about the 2006 Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Default Some questions about the 2006 Elantra

Hi, I may be buying an Elantra Hatchback. I have some questions though:

I'm getting this exact car: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

I know it says its a GT, but its a mistake, the car is a GLS.

Does this car have anti-lock brakes? And what is different between the GLS and GT of this model year? Thanks!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:53 PM

I tried to download the full features list for the 2006 Elantra models from http://www.hmaservice.com, but the file format is one I have trouble coping with. You can access yourself since the site is free. Use IE, not Firefox or other browsers and look under the OM (for Owners Manual) section. I'll try to answer your questions more directly.

Originally Posted by kevindubrow
Does this car have anti-lock brakes?
Maybe yes, maybe no. The ABS and TCS systems were options on both the GLS-5 door and the GT. A carfax may provide that answer. A Hyundai dealership may be able to look up a build sheet for the exact VIN. I would guess most, if not all, GTs came with both options, since it was sold as a sportier model. Both cars did come with 4 wheel disc brakes.

And what is different between the GLS and GT of this model year?
Mostly cosmetic from what I can tell. GLS has a chrome grill, the GT is blacked out. Fog lights were standard on the GT. The GLS came with steel wheels and wheel covers, the GT had alloy rims. Both used the same tire, P195/60R15. GT has a leather interior including a leather wrapped wheel and shift ****, which makes the GT a move attractive vehicle in my mind. GT has purple dash illumination and a trip computer. The GLS has cloth interior.

Last edited by ken99; 12-05-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

ABS was optional

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/elantra/2006/review.html

Summary

What Edmunds.com says:
With its low price, roomy cabin and above-average materials, the 2006 Hyundai Elantra is still worth a try if you're looking for value in a small sedan or hatchback. Keep in mind, however, that newer competitors have moved ahead of it in performance and overall refinement.

Pros:
Long list of standard features, comfortable interior with lots of storage, generous warranty.

Cons:
Engine lacks midrange pep, floaty highway ride with base suspension, hard to find equipped with ABS.

What's New for 2006:
A Limited sedan with leather seats and wood grain accents has been added to the Elantra lineup.

2006 Hyundai Elantra Overview

Introduction:

The Hyundai Elantra has always been a winner in our opinion, especially after it got a complete overhaul in 2001, adding interior space and exterior size, along with a full load of standard equipment, without a substantial boost in the price. For those who still have their doubts, Hyundai continues to back the Elantra with an industry-leading 5-year/60,000-mile basic warranty and 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain coverage. To keep things interesting, Hyundai began selling a five-door hatchback version for the 2002 model year. Hatchbacks offer 28 cubic feet of cargo capacity with the rear seats in use and 37 cubes when they're folded. Cabin accommodations are simple yet comfortable, and all of the controls are easy to find and use. Further, the Hyundai Elantra caters to commuters, providing a smooth ride on the highway and no-fuss handling in the parking lot. Some buyers may find the base GLS too soft in the corners, but if that's the case, the more firmly tuned GT sedan and hatchback are available, though even the GT is a bit on the soft side as well.

The Elantra is not without faults; ABS is buried in expensive option packages, and the car's engine is not as strong or refined as the class leaders. Additionally, the cabin, though comfortable, is becoming rather dated. Adding insult to injury, the Spectra offers all the good things we like about the Elantra, along with more features, for a lower price. The 2006 Hyundai Elantra is not an undesirable car, it's just not the complete package it once was. Until the redesigned Elantra hits showrooms, we suggest you carefully consider the competition before you buy.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options:
The Hyundai Elantra sedan is available in GLS, Limited and GT trim, while the five-door hatchback comes in either GLS or GT. Standard equipment on the GLS includes air conditioning; power windows, mirrors and locks; keyless entry; a center armrest with storage; and a 60/40-split-folding rear seat. In addition to that, the GLS hatchback includes a sport suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. The Limited adds wood grain trim, leather seating, chrome trim and foglights. GT models provide all of the above, plus alloy wheels, cruise control, an instrument panel with red/blue illumination and trip computer, a six-speaker CD audio system and a rear spoiler. Among the factory options are cruise control and a CD player on GLS models, and antilock brakes and a sunroof on all trims.

Powertrains and Performance:
Every Elantra comes with a 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine good for 138 horsepower (132 with SULEV emissions equipment). Drivers have their choice of either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission. If you like shifting your own gears, the manual is definitely the way to go, as it makes it easy to keep the engine in its power band. Equipped with the automatic, the Hyundai Elantra delivers ample around-town power but can feel sluggish during highway passing maneuvers, as the transmission waits too long to downshift.

Safety:
Side airbags for front occupants are standard on all Elantras, and antilock brakes are optional. In government crash testing, the Hyundai Elantra earned five stars out of five for driver protection in frontal impacts and four stars for the front passenger. In side-impact tests, the Elantra received five stars for front-occupant protection and four stars for rear-occupant protection. The IIHS gave it a "Good" rating for frontal-offset protection, but a "Poor" rating for side impacts.

Interior Design and Special Features:
Inside, the Elantra has a dated but simple layout. It's not exciting, but the switchgear is high in quality and all of the controls are right where you expect them to be. GT models have a more upscale flavor with leather wrappings on the seats, steering wheel and shift ****, as well as Volkswagen-inspired red-and-blue gauge illumination -- it's a nice idea, but it clashes with the green backlighting on the center stack. Hatchbacks offer 20 cubic feet of cargo capacity with the rear seats in use and 37 cubes when they're folded.

Driving Impressions:
The 2006 Hyundai Elantra excels at Point-A-to-B driving where a comfortable ride and light, easy handling are assets. In GT form, the suspension has slightly thicker stabilizer bars and firmer shock tuning, but the ride quality remains smooth and forgiving. There's plenty of body roll around corners with either setup, but the car behaves in such a predictable manner you're never caught off-guard.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. Its good to know that this car may possibly have ABS.

One more question if thats ok: The featurs sheets on the Hyundai website say that only the Limited and GT versions of the Elantra have fog lights. This car (theres a link to it with pictures in my first post) seems to have fog lights. Does that mean its a GLS Limited? Did they make those in hatcback form in 2006?

Thanks again!

Last edited by kevindubrow; 12-05-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. Its good to know that this car may possibly have ABS.
Get behind the wheel and turn the key to the "on" position, but don't start it. All the indicator lights on the instrument panel will light up. If the car has ABS and TCS, those lights will be present (#2 and #3). If not, then those features are not on the car.

One more question if thats ok: The featurs sheets on the Hyundai website say that only the Limited and GT versions of the Elantra have fog lights. This car (theres a link to it with pictures in my first post) seems to have fog lights. Does that mean its a GLS Limited? Did they make those in hatcback form in 2006?
There is no "GLS-Limited". The car is either a GLS or a Limited, and since the 5 door wasn't offered as a Limited, it's a GLS. The fog lights could have been installed by a previous owner, added by a dealership, or added as a bundled set of options at the factory for marketing purposes. The marketing bundles are seldom well documented. If in doubt, I would check the wiring on the fog lights. If put in by an owner, it may be a hack wiring job that you will want to deal with.

Also, if you need an owners manual for the car after you purchase it, go to http://www.hmaservice.com/files/407/...A2DO-EU62P.pdf .

Attached Thumbnails Some questions about the 2006 Elantra-06_elantra_dash.jpg  

Last edited by ken99; 12-05-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:13 PM

This car (theres a link to it with pictures in my first post) seems to have fog lights.
I just looked at the pictures on the link. There are no fog lights on the car. They are normally mounted where the little round nipples protrude from the chin facia on either side of the plate mount. The interior features and the wheels confirm this is a GLS 5-door.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

I know it says its a GT, but its a mistake, the car is a GLS.

And what is different between the GLS and GT of this model year?
Originally Posted by ken99
I just looked at the pictures on the link. There are no fog lights on the car. They are normally mounted where the little round nipples protrude from the chin facia on either side of the plate mount. The interior features and the wheels confirm this is a GLS 5-door.
Ken is right, this is a GLS and there are no fog lights installed.

Previous to 2006, the 5-door hatchback was only available as a GT. That's probably why the dealer thinks this is a GT when it's not. A GT would have leather seats and aluminum wheels (along with other things). Looks like a nice car.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 AM

Awesome, thanks for the replies eveyone! I ended up buying the car. I am really looking forward to owning my first Hyundai, as well as my first car that I have bought myself.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

I doubt there is ABS on that car. Cars with ABS have a Traction Control System switch in the spot just to the left of the instrument cluster; it looks like that car as an open bin.

I have the same car, in red. I thought I wanted a GT until I test drove one on a 100 degree day and couldn't stand the sweaty leather seats, so I got the GLS.

GT features the GLS 5-door does not have:
. Trip Computer
. Leather Seats
. Leather covered steering wheel & center console.
. Alloy Wheels
. Fog Lights
. Black trimmed grill (no chrome)

A GLS 5-door does have some of the GT features though:
. GT rear sway bar
. Black body side moldings (GLS normally has body-colored side moldings)
. Although not leather, GLS 5-doors with gray interiors have sportier seats than the GLS sedans

Besides the switch to the left of the instrument cluster, another sign of ABS is the ABS controller and manifold in the front right corner of the engine compartment. In the attached picture, the control module is labeled and the manifold is the gray thing with all the tubes coming out of it just to the rear of it.

Attached Thumbnails Some questions about the 2006 Elantra-new-picture.jpg  
Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

That's pretty much the same car I have. I added some of the GT features to it, but it started life the same as yours. You have teh upgraded stereo, though, and I didn't.

Quick Reply: Some questions about the 2006 Elantra