Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Steering problem 2010 hyundia elantra

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Default Steering problem 2010 hyundia elantra

We enjoyed our 2005 elantra so much that once we decide to purchase a new vehicle the elantra was the way to go. But within 2 days we found a major safety issue with this car. The car will become very unstable and roll violently in high wind condition. Example 1, passing an 18 wheeler in the opposite direct caused car to shake and roll to the point I had to almost stop the vehicle to gain control. Example 2; going over bridge in wind condition caused the same effect. I have been driving for 25 years and have never experienced this type of behavior from a vehicle. I know all cars will have some type of reactions to wind condition but not this extreme. I took it back to dealership but they said the car checked with spec. I called Hyundai and they said there are no problems with the car. They told me that I need to adjust to the steering because it is no longer a power steering system but an electric control steering system now. My response was to them power system or electrical control a car should not became unstable to the point that you can loss control of the vehicle.
Has anyone else experience this behavior in the 2010 elantra? If so is there anything that can be done to fix and or help this problem.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Default Major steering issues

Sunday 23rd of January, on I-10 in Arizona, I had experienced a definite defect. I was doing about 60-65mph and started to slow down when the right wheel pulled inward and put me into a spin across three lanes of traffic. Apparently, the linkage broke off losing all control of the wheel and really for that matter steering. I'm experienced driver in all conditions and this was impossible to keep from going into a spin. Fortunately the concrete divider line stopped me suddenly (LOL) and I didn't hit any other cars.

I took pictures and the linkages clearly broke off.

I could have got killed as the semi's behind me would have made short work of my 2010 Elantra had they rolled into me.

----

Originally Posted by elantraowner
We enjoyed our 2005 elantra so much that once we decide to purchase a new vehicle the elantra was the way to go. But within 2 days we found a major safety issue with this car. The car will become very unstable and roll violently in high wind condition. Example 1, passing an 18 wheeler in the opposite direct caused car to shake and roll to the point I had to almost stop the vehicle to gain control. Example 2; going over bridge in wind condition caused the same effect. I have been driving for 25 years and have never experienced this type of behavior from a vehicle. I know all cars will have some type of reactions to wind condition but not this extreme. I took it back to dealership but they said the car checked with spec. I called Hyundai and they said there are no problems with the car. They told me that I need to adjust to the steering because it is no longer a power steering system but an electric control steering system now. My response was to them power system or electrical control a car should not became unstable to the point that you can loss control of the vehicle.
Has anyone else experience this behavior in the 2010 elantra? If so is there anything that can be done to fix and or help this problem.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 PM

Ok, so pics or it did not happen...

Post them, I want to see this.

I drove a loaner 2010 some 740 mile from last Wed afternoon to last Fri evening when I got home.. no problem here..

This one drove better than the last I had, I suspect the last had a ton of toe-in on both the front and rear align.. it was a bad drive all around, last week car was a lot better handling.

Last edited by sbr711; 01-25-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM

I don't dislike Hyundai or the car and sometimes defects happen in one more more units. I just got unlucky but the result is, a major issue.

I hope the company replaces my car with due haste.

Originally Posted by sbr711
Ok, so pics or it did not happen...

Post them, I want to see this.

I drove a loaner 2010 some 740 mile from last Wed afternoon to last Fri evening when I got home.. no problem here..

This one drove better than the last I had, I suspect the last had a ton of toe-in on both the front and rear align.. it was a bad drive all around, last week car was a lot better handling.

Attached Thumbnails Steering problem 2010 hyundia elantra-img_6865b.jpg   Steering problem 2010 hyundia elantra-img_6884b.jpg  
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Default Steering Problem

I have an 09 Elantra that the steering has become so sensitive that it is sometimes scary to drive,took to dealer they put it on a machine and said it was "in spec." and sent me on my way, they did not even drive it.The weird thing is it gets more sensitive the longer you drive. Anybody else had this problem? This started about 12,000 miles car now has 18,000, been a rough 6,000 miles, think I have permanent grip indents in steering wheel and crease in seat if you know what I mean....

Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 PM

What were the align numbers ??

I want to know what the finished product was setup to be.. "in specs" dont mean a thing.. how is the car set up does..

Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Default sensitive steering

Originally Posted by sbr711
What were the align numbers ??

I want to know what the finished product was setup to be.. "in specs" dont mean a thing.. how is the car set up does..
I don't know, I'm guessing they mean set to factory specs. , They did not tell me, even if they did I would not know what it meant.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM

I just got an '10 with 6k miles, have driven it on the highway quite a bit and have never noticed such a thing so far....Maybe I just got lucky...

Old 02-17-2011, 03:18 PM

i'm happy so see that post.

i'm having a serious issue with my elentra 2010 i bought in the end of august 2010.

when i drive on low speed the car is normal and stay aligned on the road, but as soon as i drive at 100kph or higher speed, if i get my hands off the steering, the car will steer by itself to the left, left, left always the left side, to give you an idea, 2 seconds at 100kph and i fear it can hit the concrete divider if i dont take back control. i have older models of car from other brands and when i get my hands off the steering for any reasons or another, they stay in line and keep going steady, but this elentra 2010 even after 6 alignment, that are supposed to be ''perfect'' like they say, still go left instantly. my dealer sent the car to get aligned somewhere else and they also said the car was perfectly aligned. they said they tried new rims and tires (thing that i also did myself) and nothing changed, always going to the left. now they claim that as being NORMAL because the working wheel is the left one and that is making the car having tendencies to the left. that is kinda funny as an answer, looks to me that they are just trying to get rid of me because i dont let them trick me.

anyone else is suffering of such situation. i now hate my car and using it is like my worse nightmare everyday. i'd rather have a Lada

Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Exclamation 2010 elantra SE

I to purchased a new 2010 elantra se in december because i wanted a inexpensive car with ESC. Dealer delivered standard elantra which i test drove and returned because it was not equiped with ESC. Dealer allowed return and replaced with new SE with ESC.
Car handles totally different than standard model and told this is because of electric power system with ESC. Car handles like a tank after 60 mph and you constantly have adjust steering wheel.
Other family members drive it and have no complaints, disgusted at this point and will trade it in this year and never by a hyandai again.
This car should be recalled because of this serious steering defect.
Notified Hyandai corp by e-mail on there customer satisfaction web site, got no reply.
Anyone have this problem and possible cure?

Quick Reply: Steering problem 2010 hyundia elantra