Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Strange Charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Default Strange Charging problems

Hyundai elantra 2000 45k miles.

Problem-

1- Battery charging light is not lighting up when Ignition switch is turn on. Battery charging light bulb in instrument cluster was checked and is good not blown.

2- Alternator was not charging the battery. Alternator was tested and was bad. Alternator is replaced with new one.

3- Every time I start the car, I need to rev the engine to 3500 rpm for 3-4 seconds to get alternator start charging the battery(14.5 volt) and after that charging is fine even at idling speed. But if I switch off the engine then start again same thing again, I have to rev the engine again to 3500 to 4000 rpm to start charging battery again.

I assume that alternator is fine. Is there any fuse,relay switch, fuse link or external voltage regulator that can give this problem. If battery charging light bulb in instrument cluster is not blown why it is not lighting up when ignition switch is turn on? I know it suppose to turn on when ignition is turn on and goes off when engine start that means battery charging is ok.

I am car repair hobbiest and this car belong to one of my customer. Please help me as soon as possible. If you want to send me an email that is fine too. My email address is - sahai55@hotmail.com

This is my website http://crazyautorepairhobbiest.com

Thanks,

Sahai