Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

water pump ??????

Old 07-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Default water pump ??????

the car is a 1995 elantra GLS with a 1.8 DOHC and i have two questions

the car is my girlfriends and here is the problem. the car will run fine for a bout a week or two then it will run hot. check the water and its about a gallon low. fill it back up and it runs fine for about a week or two. its leaking water from the timing cover so im pretty sure it has blown the water pump gasket. i plan on replacing the the water pump, question is how big of a pain in the butt is this? does it require removing the timing belt as well? is their anything else under the timing cover that could leak coolant (hose, pipe) something like that. what all is recommended to replace when replacing the water pump? about how long does it take to complete?

question 2 this may be a stupid question but a buddy of mine is real big on eagle talons, and when he saw the 1.8 in my GF's car he freaked out and started saying that it was the same motor in his talon, is this true? i dont think it is, but their is no telling these days. thanks.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Default RE: water pump ??????

Yes sir you have to remove all those pullies except the power steering then you will be able to remove the timming belt cover and yes you have to remove the timming belt be careful with your timming. GOOD LUCK!!