Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Wheel Lug Torque Specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Default Wheel Lug Torque Specs

anyone know what the wheel lug nut torque specs for a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited?

Old 05-14-2017, 02:09 PM

Don't know about 2017 Elantra
But, most cars have the torque spec around 100 to 125 foot-pounds.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

100-125 foot pounds?! That's too high. 55 to 80 is more correct. That's what every Hyundai/Kia I own says in their owners manuals.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Yeah, I torque my lug nuts to 100 foot pounds.
To me, 80 foot pounds, the owner's manual recommendation, is a bit lite.
And would probably need to be rechecked after 10 to 20 miles later.

But, you're right.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah but you can warp rotors by torquing the wheel lugs too much.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech...jsp?techid=107

Old 05-22-2017, 10:55 AM

If too much you mean exceed the recommended torque by over 50 foot pounds
But, usually, if torqued using a star pattern and moderately exceeding the recommended torque,
it shouldn't do any damage to the rotors or stretch the studs or strip the threads
Just look at the hub and the placement of the lug studs
Warping will happen if there is rust or foreign matter in the way of the rotor and the wheel
Or if the wheel itself is warped.
And in that case, it won't matter if you use less or more torque.
What is important is the flatness and the way they are placed next to each other.

Still, you are right that the torque specified is between 50 foot pounds to 80 foot pounds

Note: If you ever take your car to a garage then sometimes they will over torque your lug nuts
Not and unusual thing to have happened to anyone

Last edited by avisitor; 05-22-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by avisitor
Note: If you ever take your car to a garage then sometimes they will over torque your lug nuts
Not and unusual thing to have happened to anyone
Very true and all too common. They zip the lug nuts on with air guns and never check the correct torque. That's what I make it a habit to loosen and re-torque my lug nut every time I get my cars back from a shop. I never want my wife or daughter to be stuck on the road with a flat tire and be unable to get the lug nuts off with the factory lug wrench because they are on way too tight.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Very true and all too common. They zip the lug nuts on with air guns and never check the correct torque. That's what I make it a habit to loosen and re-torque my lug nut every time I get my cars back from a shop. I never want my wife or daughter to be stuck on the road with a flat tire and be unable to get the lug nuts off with the factory lug wrench because they are on way too tight.
I understand about not wanting the wife and daughter to be stuck because of over tightened lug nuts.
I have been on the side of the road at night with a lug wrench unable to loosen the nuts.
But, 100 foot pounds is enough to keep the wheels on and take off the lug nuts if necessary
Of course, that is a personal viewpoint.

Guess what I was trying to get at is "Roadside Assistance" is better than having to do it yourself.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:01 AM
Default Aftermarket wheels

Do these specifications apply to aftermarket wheels as well?

Old 12-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Watch the better tire shop kids do a final torque run-down on the lug nuts with torque wrenches and you will see people who do not know how to use a click-type torque wrench. They place their body weight on the wrench and bounce it past the click. The use of the torque wrenches, in this case, is just for show but to the experienced eye it's a belly laugh and those torque wrenches are probably well out of calibration from the abuse those kids put on them.

I use 95 Ft/Lbs torque on all my vehicles (4) in a star pattern. If I have new tires put on I take the car home, break the lug nuts free, jack the car until the tire is still touching the ground to prevent rotation but the weight is off it, and torque the lug nuts to 95 Ft/Lbs. I repeat this on all 4 wheels.I used to make a fuss of it when taking the cars in for tire changes but decided the mentality of the recipient of my argument wasn't worth burning up the breathing oxygen.

Quick Reply: Wheel Lug Torque Specs