Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

05 Elantra Stop Lamp Switch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Default 05 Elantra Stop Lamp Switch Problem

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, but judging from the knowledgeable people here I'll be using this a lot!

So my problem looks like its the 05-07 recall issue where the stop lamp switch goes out. Now though, Hyundai says the recall is over and all the effected vehicles have been fixed (bought mine used).

So my question is how hard is this to repair, and where exactly is it located on the vehicle? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks everyone.

-Adrian

Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Call a Hyundai dealership and have them run your VIN. If the recall was done on your car it will be in their records. If it wasn't done, they are required by law to do it for free if you car is on the recall list. I had it done on 2 used Hyundais.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jorin
So my question is how hard is this to repair, and where exactly is it located on the vehicle? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
To answer your question, the switch is a relatively easy item to replace. The switch is a plunger type that is threaded where it screws into the pedal bracket assembly, and held in place with a lock nut. Unplug the harness connector from the switch, remove the lock nut and then unscrew the switch from the bracket. Note how many threads on the switch protrude through the bracket before removing it. Screw the new switch into the bracket to the same depth, install the lock nut and plug the harness back onto the switch. Check to make sure the brake lights come on when pressure is lightly applied to the pedal. Make sure the brake lights are off when no pressure is applied. Also make sure that the switch is not screw in so far that the brake pedal is riding on the neck of the switch when no pressure is applied, otherwise the switch won't last very long.