Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Alarm system or airbags preventing car starting 2010 Elantra Touring SE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Default Alarm system or airbags preventing car starting 2010 Elantra Touring SE

I have a problem with a car I'm trying to fix that was in an accident. The car is a 2010 Elantra Touring SE with alarm system. I have traced the power up to the car alarm solenoid under the dash. Power is available up to it, but it does not pass through it. The alarm relay is inline with the starting system, and it is preventing the car from starting. By the way . . . engine won't turn over. However I can get the engine to turn over by shorting across the start relay terminals so I know the battery & starter parts are fine.

I see by the schematic that there is a starter immobilizer, but I don't how to reset it - or even if it needs resetting. Also, the driver's airbag deployed so maybe that is tied into the alarm or immobilizer system somehow?

Here are the troubleshooting particulars:

1. Battery is good - Can start car by bypassing alarm relay
2. The start fuse is good
3. Power is available up to the alarm relay that is inline with the starter
4. When I turn the key all the way to start, I hear a click in the dash which I'm thinking might be the alarm relay.
5. The starter relay (under the hood) does not click, and I checked with Voltmeter. Power is not getting beyond the alarm relay so no voltage here with key all the way on.

So . . . anyone know if there is a switch or some procedure that needs to be performed to reset the alarm system or airbag system after an accident to get the car to start again? Or other ideas on what might be inhibiting the alarm relay?

Thanks for any help

Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Default Found it

Problem was caused by a broken ground wire in the front left of the car.