Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Cruise and steering wheel bits. AUS - I30 Desiel

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Default Cruise and steering wheel bits. AUS - I30 Desiel

Hi everyone.

I own a I30 desiel and when we brought it we could not get the model with cruise and steering wheel controls for love nor money (+6 month wait) so being a bit desperate for a car at the time we went for the basic model and drove it off the showroom floor.

Great car, good fuel economy and quite zippy. Very happy.

Now i was wondering if i could get the steering wheel controls from a wrecked i30 and fit them to mine (usual caveat, carefully around air bag blah blah) Would the wires be there in the steering wheel? and would they work?????

And i guess the same question for the cruise.
I was lead to believe that the i30 was a "fly-by-wire" throttle and the cruise control is just another "box" or not even that. (as it its part of the steering wheel controls)

We live in the outback of Western Australia, and 100km drive to go to the shops in not uncommon. Actually my wife use to drive 110km everyday to and from work.... I thought i could live with it and i have for a year...........

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 AM
e_k

I read in another thread that some are, indeed, fly-by-wire, but that others are not. The poster had mentioned that the former appeared to be the case in the US, and the latter in Canada.

You may have to do some research to find out what kind of i30s you got in Oz.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:42 AM

Thanks for your reply.

So i guess that all i have to do is check and see if there is a cable attached to the pedal.

Any ideas if the wires will be in the steering wheel, and if they are, will the steering wheel buttons work?

CH

Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Since it has the diesel engine the throttle is electronic.

Unfortunately I don't know anything at all about the cruise and steering wheel controls except for the fact that when the car has steering wheel audio controls they use different radios (or at least they do in Canada), so you may need to change the radio for it to work since your radio may not have the plugs on the back (and if you do, you may as well go aftermarket). I am also wondering about the steering wheel audio controls, as I have cruise but no audio controls on mine, and would like to add them in the future when I replace the stereo.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:02 AM

Hi Zero,

I didnt know you could go after market without going customer facia, as the facia is moulded into the car.

I guess i could, possably, go for the ungraded unit out of the next model. I guess i will have to try and find a damaged i30 and see how much it will cost to get the stero and controls etc.

I did spy another product by rockford, a signal proccessor.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

and here is a review of the unit.
http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...ty2_processor/

Basicly it takes to output and reprocesses it and alows the installation of amps into factory radios etc. Suppose to make the sound better etc. interesting product.

CH

Old 04-11-2010, 12:43 PM

There are loads of line output converters and signal processors out there to convert the speaker level output of the deck into line-level inputs for amps, as well as to modify the sound to your liking.

As for the fascia, it depends on the exact trim piece you have. Some cars here came with a single-DIN radio, in which case you just remove the old radio and install the new one, possibly having to modify the new trim ring to sit nicely, while other cars came with a double-DIN radio which had a special cutout on the dash. There are filler panels available to fit a single DIN in the double DIN opening (since the special opening has volume **** cutouts and such standard filler panels will not work).

If your car has the same radio as the ones with steering wheel controls then you should be able to just add the wiring and go.

Here is the double-DIN one which should take the steering wheel controls:

This is the filler panel that will let you mount a single-DIN radio (if you have the double-DIN and cannot add the controls to that radio)

I cropped down a picture of my own car to show the single-DIN radio which as far as I know cannot have the steering wheel audio controls added:

Last edited by zero10; 04-11-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:32 PM

Hi Zero.

Other than the steering wheel on the wrong side, , the double DIN radio is the one i have.
I dont have the controls on the steering wheel (but i want to add those.)

So i guess i am stuck with buying the controls and seeing if i can fit them (without setting off the airbag!!!)

Thanks heaps for your time.

CH

Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 AM

If you have the double DIN radio it should support them, as it is available over here with steering wheel controls. Best of luck with it all, and do post back with pictures and such since I would also like to do this in the future!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:35 AM

It will be serveral months before i even start looking at this now. It seems i may be moving across australia pretty soon (outback of WA, to melbourne)

Its as big a move as you could get in Aust, i reckon!

Once there i will have better acess to wreckers etc, but i will post pictures when i get around to it.

CH