Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Elantra Touring- just purchased

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Default Elantra Touring- just purchased

We just brought home our Touring. My last four cars have been Toyota - two Camry's and two Avalon's. For a road car, you can't beat the Avalon but this Touring may well become my favorite of all.

It has the "premium" package (17-inch wheels, sunroof, etc) and manual 5 speed gearbox.

I really like the feel, the handling and the ride. 31 mpg after 300 miles. Some have said this will improve after break-in.

If you are considering Touring , give the manual tranny a try. The shifter (after a little practice), will feel GREAT! And, five gears will help you stay in that "sweet range" on the torque curve. I already love the manual shift! I am looking for a Torque/Hpower curve and will post it when found. I suspect that the curve is quite flat over a long rpm range, because it has impressive acceleration anywhere in the 2400 to 3100 rpm range.

I am very impressed withthe simple functionality- it reminds me of my 4-cyl. 1988 Camry, except the Touring has all that room!!

Best Regards,

Oh: It's Chil Pepper red (that's RED!), with two-tone beige interior.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Nice! Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Touring!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 AM
Default Manual Trany

Did you have to order the MT model or were you able to find in available in your area. I'm looking for exactly your combo, MT,red, beige but without the Primo package. Can't find any in Florida. Wondering if it would pay to wait for 2010's. Keep us informed of your input, especially if you notice any problems with the car. Thanks and have fun.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Default MemoryRose

The Stick-shift, Chilipeppahhh was on the dealer lot. I did not have to search it out.

I haven't had a 'stick' in years but I'm glad I tried it on a hunch. It's got a brisk, short throw. I don't think it's so-called "spring-loaded" as they used to be to assist in quick shifting, but it almost feels that way. You may like it.

It also has a lock-unlock feature to enable/prevent shifting into Reverse. It's a small collar below the shift ****. When you lift the collar up, (with two fingers) you can shift (left and up) into Reverse. I can see using this feature at least long enough to know the gear placement.

Good Luck in the search.