Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Are Halogen projector headlights compatibile with Xenon (HID) bulb replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Default Are Halogen projector headlights compatibile with Xenon (HID) bulb replacements?

Hi there,

I've found my current halogen H11B low beam head lights to be painfully low in clarity during night driving. So I would like to upgrade the headlights to an HID set up..I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and one of the problems I have with retrofitting a HID kit into my car is the question of compatibility with the projector with a 5000k bulb.

There are a few kits available for the task.

I believe the H11b bulb pattern is the same as the Kia Rondo's however some of the Kia forum's users have had issues with oem halogen projector when fitting the HID kit. Essentially, there is some glare associated with the headlights in the new trim. Then again, there are others who are perfectly happy with their set up.

Can anyone give me the low down on the compatibility of the kits with the ET's headlight projector.

I essentially want to know if the physics of the stock halogen projector will provide a similar pattern with the HID bulb.

Many thanks!

Last edited by kman; 12-12-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM

I installed the HID Guy 6000k HID kits into both my high beam and low beam on my 2009 ET and it's a million times better then the halogen stock bulbs. The kit is fairly easy to install if you have some basic electrical and automotive skills. I would go with the 6000k kit over a 4300k or 5000k kit, 6000k has the furthest projection without turning blue. I notice that i have two small vertical shadows in front my car about 5-8 feet out from the HID light bulb, but the increase in light was worth the small marks which don't affect clarity or visibility. The bulbs were tight fits into the openings but hasn't caused any problems. I did have to bend the little clip that holds the H11B bulb into place to fit over the bulkier HID bulb. PM me if you want some pictures of the install and light change. One thing to keep in mind, if you also install the high beam HID your daytime running light (if applicable) will be your HID bulb and not the little wedge bulb.