Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Hyundai i30 panoramic roof leaking water into spare wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 11:35 PM
Default Hyundai i30 panoramic roof leaking water into spare wheel well

I am looking for other Hyundai i30 GD or similar vehicles (preferably in Australia) who are having an issue with water leaking into the spare tyre well. It is more than likely that you have an issue with a crack in the plastic frame/cassette that holds the glass panoramic roof.

If we can find enough people who have this issue then we can go to Hyundai Australia and demand they fix this significant manufacturing fault.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:41 AM
Default Same thing is happening to my car

Same thing happening to me
Originally Posted by agentadam
I am looking for other Hyundai i30 GD or similar vehicles (preferably in Australia) who are having an issue with water leaking into the spare tyre well. It is more than likely that you have an issue with a crack in the plastic frame/cassette that holds the glass panoramic roof.

If we can find enough people who have this issue then we can go to Hyundai Australia and demand they fix this significant manufacturing fault.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kieranhyundai2000
Same thing happening to me
Yes we have the same issue now.

Leak is coming in via rear left pillar roof to the inside then running down into the boot spare wheel well.

Significant leak

Old 05-17-2023, 04:56 AM

We have the same issue. Have you resolved this?

Old 05-17-2023, 04:57 AM

We have the same issue with our i30. Did you get any assistance/resolution. Hyundai quoted us $15,000 to replace the roof plus labour.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:47 PM

A few questions if you will,
Vehicle is a 2023 ? Did it do this from the beginning when new or did it develop a little later?
If it did not do this when new , but developed later , it could be influenced by plugged drains that are supposes to be open to drain the water to the outside of the vehicle.
Is the vehicle parked where tree debris can get into the roof opening and accumulate until it can no longer drain?

Old 05-21-2023, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah Taylor-Holmes
We have the same issue with our i30. Did you get any assistance/resolution. Hyundai quoted us $15,000 to replace the roof plus labour.
That's more than the market value of the car. That's crazy.

My understanding is the original plastic base frame for the glass roof was too frail for the weight of the glass and it eventually cracks. Ie; it's a design fault and has now become a safety issue as the glass roof becomes unstable and no longer complies with the cars safety rating & standards. Safety is compromised in any accidents.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:46 AM

I have the same issue.Am trying to get the cracks filled using a silicon sealer but so far its been in twice to have this done and it is still leaking. Hyundai has quoted $9800 to have this fixed. I think this is absurd since the car is not worth it. Not sure if i should have the car scrapped.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by agentadam

You can reach out to Hyundai Australia's customer service or visit their official website to submit a complaint or request assistance. They may be able to provide guidance on how to proceed and possibly arrange an inspection or repair for your vehicle if it is a known issue.

Additionally, you can try searching online forums or communities specific to Hyundai i30 owners in Australia. These platforms often provide a space for owners to discuss common problems and share their experiences. Connecting with other owners who have faced a similar issue may help strengthen your case when approaching Hyundai Australia.

Remember to gather any documentation or evidence you have, such as photographs or records of the water leakage, to support your claim. The more information you can provide to Hyundai, the better they will be able to assess and address the issue.

Best of luck in resolving the problem with your Hyundai i30 panoramic roof.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by gdf44
You can reach out to Hyundai Australia's customer service or visit their official website to submit a complaint or request assistance. They may be able to provide guidance on how to proceed and possibly arrange an inspection or repair for your vehicle if it is a known issue.

Additionally, you can try searching online forums or communities specific to Hyundai i30 owners in Australia. These platforms often provide a space for owners to discuss common problems and share their experiences. Connecting with other owners who have faced a similar issue may help strengthen your case when approaching Hyundai Australia.

Remember to gather any documentation or evidence you have, such as photographs or records of the water leakage, to support your claim. The more information you can provide to Hyundai, the better they will be able to assess and address the issue.

Best of luck in resolving the problem with your Hyundai i30 panoramic roof.
Who are you representing? Hyundai legal?

This sounds like fluffy corporate speak from a Hyundai connection trying to calm the waters and direct people to their preferred chanels so they don't potentially take any action outside of the 'nice' but usually innefective route of 'customer service'.

Potentially a complete time waster that will cost a mint with the coffers of Hyundai being filled on a major fail of a core component of this vehicle. The roof frame/sub frame.

Which is potentially a safety issue for this car as the sub frame for the roof indicates it is at best a safety design fault in a roll situation as the sub frame is already compromised as a result of a known design fault by Hyundai.

​​l would be taking this advice with a grain of salt and going in with eyes wide open with a view to seeking legal action if Hyundai doesn't come to the party people.

Hyundai will be forced to recall if this ever gets into main stream media and/or the courts.

Last edited by PTHyundai; 06-13-2023 at 02:32 PM.