Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

2010 GLS OEM Roof Rack Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 06:50 PM
Default 2010 GLS OEM Roof Rack Options

Hello,

I purchased a 2010 elantra gls back in January. I really enjoy the cargo space, however I will be moving using this car as my only mover and was wondering if it is possible to get the OEM roof rails from the se trim installed on the gls trim. I don't see a way to get the rails off easily, but there must be an easy way. Has anyone done this and does it work? I can get them from the local junkyard of mine but I don't want to install them if they won't fit correctly.

Any help is appreciated, and I love the car so far. Really cheap and tons of space.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:18 PM

My sister has a '10 Touring GLS without the roof rails and I've often wondered whether side rails can be retrofitted (easily) to the GLS.

The service manual says this about removing the side rails:

1. Remove the roof rack cover (A) and cap (B).
2. Remove the roof rack (C).
3. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Notice no mention of the nut shown in the diagram.
The Hyundai parts catalogue shows different roof garnish/trim depending on vehicle option codes:

No roof rack option code HERE.
Roof rack option code HERE.

In the "roof rack option code" link, above, nut/washer assembly 1327AC appears to attach the side rail to the roof from above, which suggests that a bolt or threaded stud is attached to the roof at those locations, but the "service manual" doesn't mention these, at all, that I can find.

I don't suppose removing the plain roof "moulding" on the GLS will reveal any hidden threaded roof rail fasteners that could be used to retrofit side rails salvaged from a wrecked Touring.

But if you're able to get at a Touring with side rails at a salvage yard & can pop the rack cover & cap from the front/rear of the rail, you should have a better idea how this is mounted to the roof.

Last edited by DrGEROH; 07-15-2021 at 08:52 AM.