Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

a lemon?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Default a lemon?

my tale of woe starts in october of 2010 when my wife takes delivery of a brand new 2011 elantra touring gls. we loved everything about the car. then several minor annoyances started...

there was a 10mm nut under passenger side pillar, between the doors, that sounded like a marble rolling back and forth with acceleration and braking. found and fixed.

there was intolerable creaking noises emanating from the rear hatch door that has been fixed several times.

the rear hatch door cup handle used to fall out until the rear hatch panel was finally replaced.

finally we move on to major concerns. in april of this year at about 29,000 miles i noticed a major oil leak in my driveway which turned about to be a bad head gasket. i was told it was caught in time and the repair was made under warranty.

recently the car was having shift flare. this was when the automatic transmission was shifting from 3rd to 4th gear the engine would race and the rpm would spike until it reached 4th gear.

we brought the car in for a normal oil change service at 35,000 and told them about the shift flare. we have been informed that the car needs a new transmission!!?? i was shocked.

i do want to say that our servicing dealer has been great and all the above work has been done under warranty. i have been leasing and buying new cars since 1985 (mazda's and toyota's) and have NEVER had problems like this.

i figure i may need every bit of hyundai's long warranty and am very soured on ever buying one again. my daughter just purchased a 2012 elantra back in april and just completely broke off her rear passenger door handle by simply opening the door. hope this is not indicative of things to come for her...

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Not a Lemom. A lemon is a car that can't be repaired after multiple attempts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_(automobile)

Consumer protection legislation typically labels vehicles as "lemons" if the same problem recurs despite multiple repair attempts (such as three times in a row over a short period, where previous attempts have not fixed the problem) or where defects have caused a new vehicle to be out of service for a prolonged period (typically thirty days or longer) for repairs.
Everything that happened to you was fixed (under warranty at no cost to you, I might add). Therefor, it's not a lemon.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-11-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM

my reference to a lemon was more out of frustration than literal. that said, i am extremely down on hyundai's. thank goodness for the warranty. the company is certainly standing behind their product. i would not dream of keeping this car beyond it's warranty period and i'm failrly certain i will not buy a hyundai again...

Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by LenG58
my reference to a lemon was more out of frustration than literal. that said, i am extremely down on hyundai's. thank goodness for the warranty. the company is certainly standing behind their product. i would not dream of keeping this car beyond it's warranty period and i'm failrly certain i will not buy a hyundai again...
I had some real frustrations with my 2010 ET SE over warranty items, but over time Hyundai and my local dealer made everything right. This is in contrast to my experience both with Cadillac and Audi. I really like my car and recommend the brand often.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 PM

How is the rebuilt trans working for you?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 AM

so far, so good. the surge between gears is gone.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Default Pretty bad

My trans is getting pretty bad between 3-4.
I guess I will be getting a rebuilt trans soon also.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Default Auto Trans

Finally went to the stealer today. They tell me I need a new trans also. ETA for trans to arrive is 12-05-12.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 AM

good luck. ours has been problem free since replacement.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Default How long?

How long did it take the dealer to replace the trans after they received the rebuilt one? Also did you get a loaner car offered to you?
My dealer seems to have a policy of "If it takes longer than 24 hours to fix your car then we will give you a loaner." I'm not really happy with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a lemon?