Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

One Year Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Default One Year Anniversary

I have had my Elantra Touring SE for one year and have 9200 miles on it. I still enjoy driving this jewel every time I get into it and the quality of the car amazes me each time. I have had zero problems with it and am getting 23-25 mpg in town and 33-34 mpg on the highway at 65-75mph. If I drop the speed back to 50-55 I have gotten as much as 39-40 mpg. I still say this is one of Hyundai's best kept secrets and they are still not marketing it in a very positive manner. I would not hesitate to recommend this or any other Hyundai product to anyone looking for a vehicle.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Congrats! I'm up to 1300 miles myself and am also impressed with the quality of this gem. Bought it in January and with all this extreme cold and roads being rough because of all the frozen ice and snow, I'm amazed there's no rattles or squeaks. Also averaging 26 mpg all around mileage with this cold and with snow tires on. Going in tomorrow for my first oil change (oil isn't even that dirty) and having the automatic door locking feature enabled.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 AM

Glad you're liking your Touring Omnitech. I am not familiar with the automatic door locking feature on the car. Is it something that the dealer can enable. I have it on my wifes toyota. I always wondered why the doors didn't automatically lock when you got in the car.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 AM

Yes...it's dealer enabled, also had it on my Toyota. Basically, the doors lock after about 10 mph.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Default You must be commuters :)

Mine's a year old. I have good news. I have 22000 miles and only minor issues: the rear latch handle as discussed on another forum, and my AM radio gets an odd static that stops when you slap the dash (I need to take it in).
I cannot believe that I still enjoy driving it so much. I used to dread the road trips for work, now I want to go. I am getting what others report on the highway, but I'm getting 26-29 in town. I will add that I do not drive very conservatively, mainly because the car is way too fun to drive. I was pleasantly surprised by the in town mileage.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mdingel
Mine's a year old. I have good news. I have 22000 miles and only minor issues: the rear latch handle as discussed on another forum, and my AM radio gets an odd static that stops when you slap the dash (I need to take it in).
I cannot believe that I still enjoy driving it so much. I used to dread the road trips for work, now I want to go. I am getting what others report on the highway, but I'm getting 26-29 in town. I will add that I do not drive very conservatively, mainly because the car is way too fun to drive. I was pleasantly surprised by the in town mileage.
Yeah..I'm a commuter...25 miles to work one way mixed driving, and I agree- the car is a lot of fun to drive. I liked my Corolla but this thing tops it. Can't wait to take it on a long trip. I'm liking the XM radio a lot, also. Lots of channels to listen to. The bright headlights are much apreciated at night.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 PM

I bought the car in January and it's been a cold one ever since. I've been averaging 25-26 mpg with the cold weather, but the last few days have been 50-65 degrees and my mileage jumped to 28-29 actual mpg mixed driving, computer says 29 and I'm around there. Can't wait to get these snow tires off and see if I can top that. My 07 Corolla used to average around 30 mpg mixed driving with all season tires.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Congrats on the anniversary. I'm within a few days of my own. I just turned over 13,000 miles and no major problems. I need to schedule for the gas door cover adjustment and a vibration rattle with the 5 speed shift lever but otherwise I have not needed to go back to the dealer for anything. I'm getting 34 mpg overall average since new.

Biggest gripes are OEM tires are terrible on snow and the oil change is a pain with the frame pan in the way of drips from the filter change.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 AM

TOTALLY agree on the oil change & the frame pan badger_biker. very annoying.
I thought the tires were pretty good once you get going, but it may just be the steering is so much better than my last car. And, if I read your name correctly, you've had to deal with a lot more snow than I do.
I haven't noticed any rattling on the 5-speed, but I believe it is harder to get into 4th, especially after I've downshifted to 3rd to pass someone & am going back to 4th. I'm at 23000, please post if you start noticing that also.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mdingel
TOTALLY agree on the oil change & the frame pan badger_biker. very annoying.
I thought the tires were pretty good once you get going, but it may just be the steering is so much better than my last car. And, if I read your name correctly, you've had to deal with a lot more snow than I do.
I haven't noticed any rattling on the 5-speed, but I believe it is harder to get into 4th, especially after I've downshifted to 3rd to pass someone & am going back to 4th. I'm at 23000, please post if you start noticing that also.
Yes you read my name correctly - we are expecting a possible 3rd of the season 12+ inch snow storm next week! Too late this year but I'll be going into next winter with a second set of wheels and dedicated snow tires!

I tried using a cut plastic gallon milk jug under the filter to funnel off the oil with mixed results - let me know if you have found a better way.

I'll post if I notice the hard shifting. All I've notice this year is it starts out very stiff in all gears when it is below zero.

Quick Reply: One Year Anniversary