Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Play in accelerator pedal and noise brake pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Default Play in accelerator pedal and noise brake pedal?

Hi everyone -

long time lurker, first post! My '10 ET SE is about is almost 5 months old with 8k miles on it, and i noticed something with the gas pedal that seemed weird. There a little bit of play in the pedal that seem like just dead travel. I can use my hand and move the pedal across the dead travel "zone" - and get no response from the engine. Is play in the pedal normal for fly by wire cars?

also, the brakes pedal for my ET is noisy when depressed, like it's groaning or something. It doesn't affect braking performance, but feels weird. Is anyone else having the same problem? I thought about spraying some WD-40 on the pedal assembly, but was curious if anyone else experienced this issue before...

aside from that and a few groaning hard plastic pieces, great car!

Last edited by Kalun47; 11-14-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM

We don't have "fly by wire". We have a cable.

I haven't noticed a dead area but will see if I have it, could also be cable slack.

You could try WD-40 to see if the groaning goes away but WD-40 will not be permanent, grease would be better.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kalun47
Hi everyone -

long time lurker, first post! My '10 ET SE is about is almost 5 months old with 8k miles on it, and i noticed something with the gas pedal that seemed weird. There a little bit of play in the pedal that seem like just dead travel. I can use my hand and move the pedal across the dead travel "zone" - and get no response from the engine. Is play in the pedal normal for fly by wire cars?

also, the brakes pedal for my ET is noisy when depressed, like it's groaning or something. It doesn't affect braking performance, but feels weird. Is anyone else having the same problem? I thought about spraying some WD-40 on the pedal assembly, but was curious if anyone else experienced this issue before...

aside from that and a few groaning hard plastic pieces, great car!
I agree with the poster who mentioned the cable slack on the throttle cable. I haven't had the problem, but there's a thread I think on Elantraclub.com somewhere that gives a rough procedure on how to take in the slack on your throttle cable to get rid of the "dead" zone in the travel.

Can't comment on the brake either. Dealer trip in your future?

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-14-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 AM

I have the same noise with my brake pedal. It only does it if it's been sitting for a couple of hours and it only does it when it is first pressed. It does not do it after the first press. I will have it looked at when I get my next oil change. I will also get them to look for a nasty rattle under the dash.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by goose1
I have the same noise with my brake pedal. It only does it if it's been sitting for a couple of hours and it only does it when it is first pressed. It does not do it after the first press. I will have it looked at when I get my next oil change. I will also get them to look for a nasty rattle under the dash.
When you describe it like this it makes me think you're feeling the abs system test on a cold start. I know on my Sonata it was more pronounced and almost felt/sounded like a slight rattle or bumping sensation. Just my thoughts, but I know it's completely normal.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM

I have the same noise in my brake pedal. And it always goes away when I take it to the dealer.
And it seems it happens when it sits for a while. It comes and goes and is a pain in the *#$.
I haven't had it in a few months, but I made sure it was on record.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 PM

My ET is coming up on 1200 miles,
I don't have the peddle problem But do have the brake noise & raddle in the dash
it is coming from the panle that has the time & temp on it!.I thank
& the brake comes & goes..
Ron

Old 12-24-2010, 02:46 AM

so, I took it into the dealer and they were unable to replicate the brake pedal noise, but it seems to come and go.

The play on the pedal is still there, and it's gotten a little worse. The dealer says that's normal, so we'll see if it gets any worse.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:10 AM

The noise in my brake petal wound up being a replacement steering column. Strange, but details to follow.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:33 PM

Has the play in the pedal gotten any worse?

Quick Reply: Play in accelerator pedal and noise brake pedal?