Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Satisfied owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Smile Satisfied owner

I have had my Touring for 3 weeks now and am a satisfied owner. I have put over 600 miles on it so far. I get 28+ mpg commuting and about 34+ on highways. For a while, easy driving at 50+ mph, I got it up to 35.8 mpg but I was really trying hard to drive "green" and see how high I could get it. Normally, I like to have fun and really drive my cars. I could see getting around 26 mpg in pure city driving but that is just a guess on my part.

I traded in my old Elantra GT hatchback with 84,000 miles. I enjoyed it but wanted a car with ESC and other newer safety features without spending a lot of money. With the economy the way it is, I was also looking for a good deal.

I looked at the Honda Fit, Toyota Prius, Suburu, Mini Cooper, Mazda and a number of other highly rated cars from Consumer Reports. I did not want a big car like the Rav4, newer Forester, etc. But I did not want too small of a car for safety reasons and I wanted something with plenty of trunk space. I also considered the Matrix, Vibe, Scion, Element and a number of other such cars but I wanted something more upscale and for long trips this summer.

I did a lot of research and I acknowledge and accept the few negatives of the Touring. It is not a perfect car and I can see people finding little faults here and there. But I did not mind them. The positives out weigh the negatives. All in all, it is a great car. It is comfortable and fun to drive. I like all of its amenities and nice touches. It has plenty of passenger and hauling room but is still economical to drive. The long warranty is also nice although in 7-8 years, I had no trouble at all with my last Elantra.

I got the sport model with auto transmission, sunroof and 17" wheels. It would have been nice to have a Nav unit but I open up the small hatch on the dash and prop up my Tom-Tom GPS unit there and it works just as well. The stereo is great and I like the XM but I will probably not pay for it after the free trial period runs out. I will then switch to my iPod and leave it in the center console all the time, hidden away.

As I said before, I am a satisfied customer and would recommend it with no qualms. It is a great car and I am looking forward to taking it on a really long trip in a few weeks.

Last edited by NewOwner; 05-03-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

Welcome to the forum. Really nice report, glad you like your car. Please let us know in the future how it's going.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome and congrats on the new car.