Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Default Speaker replacement

Hi all- my wife just got a new 2009 Touring and one of the things we were hoping to improve were the stock speakers.

Crutchfield says I need some adapter plates to run 6.5" speakers, but I'd prefer to avoid them if possible. The thin plastic plates they provide introduce air leaks and destroy sound quality.

Has anyone replaced their speakers, and if so, do you know of any direct-fit replacements? I don't mind a little cutting for the tweeter, but I want the woofer mounted very securely.

I guess the second question is whether the Touring's speakers are similar or identical to the Elantra sedan, because if so, that opens up my search options a bit for finding info on this forum. (Since it's a different chassis / body panels, I posted this in the Touring subform since I'm expecting the answer to be specific to this model.)

Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 AM

I would get direct replacement 6.5" splits
recommend JL depending on how much $$ u wana spend.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/carau...facturerid=621

or

http://www.nextag.com/pioneer-car-au...6__5/shop-html

for pioneer

Any good audio/car shop should be able to order in or better have them on display to hear the difference! On my i30 there is a space near the window (where the door ends and the window begins) black cover with room to mount a tweeter. ( It has tweeters installed already)

Old 08-08-2009, 10:20 AM

Thanks. Are those direct fit, or do I need to buy or fabricate mounting adapters?

My understanding is that the stock speakers are held in by rivets that I need to drill out, but I think once I do that, the existing holes can be used to mount the new speakers. Is that correct?

I'll only need to drill new holes to mount the crossover, hopefully, and the tweeter I'm not worried about.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Default speaker fit

be prepared to make your own brackets. in the 09 sonata the holes are 8" wide !!!!!! the stock speaker bracket frame has a huge lip they put the rivets in. I think to make it harder to replace the speakers with other brands. GO to lowes or home depot, the circle sewer grate drain covers are made of pvc and 8". cut 1 1/2" inch off the top and it should be the proper height to screw into the door frame. You will need to get a quality plastic glue and secure the speaker mounting piece on top of your new drain/bracket. Then just screw in the speaker. I took photos if you think you'll do it yourself and want to see just message me with your email. The twwter pieces came out easy but are odd sized. I had to make a tiny bracket inde the cover for that too. Alpine Type R are cheap online and sound incredible in the car.