Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Touring and the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Default Touring and the Snow

Hi-

I'm a new member, and am just experiencing my first snow driving with the Touring SE (2012 w/ 4500 miles). The car has been great, until now. After one trip in the snow, I'm seriously considering a trip to the Honda dealer to trade this thing in for a Cr-V. I'm running the OEM Kumho tires. The car is VERY 'slidey' on the snowy roads, and has a VERY difficult time going up the hill I live on with snow on the road. Is it just a matter of getting better all weather tires, or is it the car? I can't be scared every time it snows. If it's the car, I may take a bath but I'll have to get something different. Can anyone help with your snow experiences or thoughts on better tires for the car that CAN handle snow? For reference, previously I was driving a Honda Element. I wish I still had it. thanks!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Default Touring in snow

I had the same experience with a 2011 Touring SE with the Kumho KH16 tires. Not good in light snow or slush. I replaced the tires a month ago with Nitto Motivos. No snow yet but they ride better and handle better in the dry and wet.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM

thanks. I've enjoyed the car until now, and it fits my needs really well. I'm just afraid that every snow storm, I'm going to have the same experience I had today. btw....I called the dealer and they offered me different tires at their cost, so I'll go and take a look at what they have or what they can do for me. I also found out the tires AREN'T pronounced as 'kum-ho' which I've assumed was the name, but gave the dealer a good laugh. He told me they're pronounced 'ku-mo' Who knew. If anyone has recommendations for all weather tires that are good in snow with this car, I'd love to hear your suggestions. I really don't want to have to have winter tires and summer tires. I didn't have to do that with my Element (why oh why did I not keep that vehicle), and don't want to have to do that with this one. thanks guys!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Every all-season tire is a compromise. If you have to drive in snow then winter tires are the best option (regardless of car).

With that said, if you still want to disregard sound advice, here is a list of tires that I've had good personal experience with in snow:
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Yokohama AVID Ascend
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 AM

thanks for the suggestions. I know the best solution is having two sets of wheels and tires - winter and the rest of the year- but I just can't bring myself to do that. I'm going to take a financial hit, but I've decided to trade the car in and find a low miles Element Ex. I would rather go and get a car I can depend on rather than keep futzing with this car and never quite trust it in bad weather. My fault for buying it in the first place. Thanks to those of you who responded, it's appreciated.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Why do that? That's doesn't make sense. You aren't willing to spend money on snow tires but you are willing to lose money on trading it in?

It will cost you less money to buy a second set of wheels and tires than what you will lose on trading it in. Plus, the Touring with snow tires will be much safer than a Honduh Toaster (I mean Element) with all-season tires.

On top of that, the Honduh Toaster (I mean Element) only seats 4 and gets worse fuel economy? So you'll be spending more on gas, too.

Just seems like a foolish financial decision.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM

I guess part of my decision is based on just how horrible the drive home was last evening. I lost all trust in the car. 22 miles of squirrely car on roads that I never once had problems on with the Element. I don't want to put $600 or $700 dollars into tires, then find out the car just can't handle weather or getting up the hill to my home. Last night's drive was bad with this car.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 AM

btw.....I just can't live with a car that I would have to have to have tires and wheels for winter and another set of tires and wheels for the rest of the year. Why live like that.
thx

Old 11-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ellisonx
btw.....I just can't live with a car that I would have to have to have tires and wheels for winter and another set of tires and wheels for the rest of the year. Why live like that.
thx
Tires are like shoes. Do you wear the same shoes (or clothes) in the winter that you wear in the summer?

And $600 for winter tires is cheaper than the $1000 deductible you'll pay if you have an accident driving in the snow.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 AM

after taking some time to really think about it, I spent this morning talking to several service managers, at various auto dealerships, and the guys at the tire place (Town Faire) and am going to try the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. If those don't solve the car's squirreliness in the snow / wintery condition, then I'm trading it in. Thanks for putting up with my panic about how the car handled in the snow the other day. I'll give it a chance with the new tires and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Touring and the Snow