Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Vent Visors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Default Watch The Rear Deflectors!

An update after a few weeks of having these on: The rear one on the driver side "let go" and fell into the rear seat when my wife put the window down this afternoon. Fortunately, it was on our driveway and not out on the road. I call McNeil (the mfg. co.) and explained what happened. They are sending me new tape for the top edges. I asked for enough to do BOTH sides of BOTH vents. I hope this cures the problem. The fronts are rock solid. Be warned! For 100 bucks they could at least have put tape on both sides from the factory. The rep said her car had done the same thing (Jeep).

ETMike

Old 09-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Update 2:
I removed the rear deflectors today while I am waiting for the new tape. I realized two things in the process:
1. If you bring down the window about a half inch or so (enough to allow hot air to exit) there is a gap on the rear side of the deflector as the window comes down...about a 1/4 inch by 2 inches. That might be enough to allow rain to come in.
2. Tape on BOTH sides would not work because it would prevent the window from coming down on the inside of the deflector...the outside is tucked into the window channel and the sticky tape grabs it and .... supposedly keeps it from coming loose.

I really do not see a way that tape will hold these up into the channel. I may just leave the rear ones off and try to see if I can get a refund on them. The fronts are great. They hold well and when down a half inch or so there is still no gap where rain can get in. Short of taping them to the OUTSIDE (like the AVS shades) I just cannot see how the rear ones can do the job they are supposed to.

My advice: If you want these, get the front set only.

ETMike

Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 PM

they are 40% more espensive in Canada, but as I've discovered in the 3 weeks since i got my touring, any rain on the car directly pours into the seats if you open the windows. Guess
I'll be getting a front set real soon