Hyundai Entourage This minivan boasts of being one of the safest vehicles in its class.

Entourage starting issue - wonky electronics/ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Default Entourage nonstarting issue

My wife has had the identical problem with her 2007 Entourage. WE love everything about the car - except every once in a while it's totally dead. Yesterday we had to have it towed to the dealer. Of course, it started right up when the mechanic looked at it. Based on the earlier thread reports, I directed the dealer last month to the Hyundai advisory on the fuse box/immobilizer issue and they replaced it. But now, a month later, it's at it again. My wife wants to trade it in now...just too unreliable, which is too bad. The minivan drives great, has lots of features for much less than Odyssey...but it's just too unreliable at this point. Actually...too...banging on the fusebox has worked...and touching a volt meter to the battery often has solved the issue. But it's all temporary. Our next step is to write Hyundai in hopes they'll do SOMETHING, because it's clear that many Hyundai Entourage owners have had the same problem.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:52 AM

RDCASEY open up a case with Hyundai consumer affaires. this will force them to investigate further. also look at you reciept from the repair the dealer made and give us the part# they used. I'm curious if they used the correct part.

Jasen

Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hytech
RDCASEY open up a case with Hyundai consumer affaires. this will force them to investigate further. also look at you reciept from the repair the dealer made and give us the part# they used. I'm curious if they used the correct part.

Jasen
Hytech: THANKS for the quick note. I was planning to contact the dealer again today, as well as hyundai. Last month the dealer replaced part 91954-4D090-FFF JUNCTION B. But I think the IPM module is a separate issue? That is my prime suspect now. I have only 200 miles left on the warranty, so I'll contact them right away.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Update: Towed to dealer on flatbed. Dealer confirmed nonstart, ran diagnostics, came up with a battery error. Low cranking ampage, something like that. Battery replaced and they reran diagnostics, showing no error codes. They'll keep overnight and rerun the diagnostics. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm dubious that it was all a bad battery, but I'm no mechanic!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Battery in Entourage from what I see dont last very long..

How long is a battery supposed to last ?? Factory installed battery is crap shoot.

Do you have a power tail gate ?? Might just ask them to install GDS anyways and go to ECU UPGRADE, click BCM, and see if it offers you the IP module upgrade.. do it.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the power doors and tailgate eat up the battery fast if opened without the engine running. My 2006 Sedona is on its third battery already.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks again guys. Dealer is keeping Entourage another day "just to make sure." They said the battery (original on this 2007 model with 59,000 miles) showed "bad cell" in the diagnostics. Started fine this morning. They're going to keep another day, run diagnostics again, start again in the morning. So we'll see!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Also, yes...wife uses the power doors a lot, but it does not have a power tailgate.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM

And...dealer says they replaced not only the junction box, but also the IPM module last month...so they're thinking the battery bad cell was the culprit.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:53 AM

When it acted up how did you finally get it to start?

Quick Reply: Entourage starting issue - wonky electronics/ignition?