Hyundai Entourage This minivan boasts of being one of the safest vehicles in its class.

Multiple Air Bag sensors go bad at once?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Default Multiple Air Bag sensors go bad at once?

So my 2007 Entourage limited 122,000 miles has an Air Bag light on. I gave it a few weeks to see if it was for real, then noticed that the ESC OFF light started coming on intermittently. Took it to the dealer today. The diagnosis? there are 5 air bag related codes, not all active, pointing to 4 different air bag sensor/assembly problems.
  • 2 in the passengar seat bottom, one for weight and one for distance from the dash
  • 1 in the passengar side pilar for the side air bag
  • 1 in the dash beside the clock (not really a sensor but the information flow from the light continues on)
The ESC OFF light code is said to be low battery voltage, intermittent. They checked the battery and said voltage was fine and only dropped to the low end of normal during extended cranking.

All of this happened at once, and it doesn't make sense to me. Lead technician said he's never seen it before but feels confident that the codes are accurate. My question is that the codes may be accurate, but do they really point to the cause? no one can answer why these sensors all appeared go bad at the same time. Could it be linked to the battery.

I'm not a mechanic or an engineer, but something is not adding up here.

Any help?