Hyundai Getz Offering a sportier look than the Atos, the Getz preserves the economy of the sub compact market in both the 2 and 4 door models.

Few issues - are they related?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Default Few issues - are they related?

Hello

I have had a 2002 Hyundai Getz 1.3GSI for 2.5 years now and never had any bother with it until recently, when several problems have occurred and was hoping for some advice.

The vechicle had full service history when I bought it and I've had it serviced yearly since. There is around 75,000 miles on it at the moment and it was last serviced 1 month ago.

One month ago when I turned the key it sounded like the engine was trying to start but then wouldn't kick in. I left it for a half hour or so and tried again and it started and drove fine. This prompted me to get a service.

A week or so after the service, the car halted to a stop mid traffic (stressful!) and again when I tried ignition the same as before happened. I had to call AA and be towed to the nearest garage...AA hooked it up to a management system and diagnosed a broken crank shaft sensor which the garage then fixed.

I drove the car a few miles home from the garage and parked up. When I went to start the car that evening the battery was flat...got it jump started and all was fine.

NOW...around 2 weeks ago the 'check engine' light started to blink, it blinked a few times and went off again. A few days later the same thing happened.

As I was due to drive a long distance I phoned the garage and sought advice...the mechanic said so long as the car was driving well then I should be fine but if the light came on again then to call in with the car.

Four ago the 'check engine' light came on solid and stayed on...so I brought it to the garage. They hooked it up to a diagnostics machine which showed that Cyclinder 1 and Cyclinder 4 were misfiring...the garage suggested that 9 times out of 10 this is caused by a faulty/broken coil - so they replaced it.

I got the car back 2 days ago, for the first day all was well but then last night the same 'check engine' light came on blinking twice within the space of a few minutes.

Can anyone advise what it could possibly be? The garage has replaced the coil so it can't be that surely? Recently I've spent a small fortune on it and so I'm keen to get the problem sorted and fast...I don't think my nerves could handle another rush hour traffic breakdown!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!