Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

01 2.7L Santa Fe spark plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Default 01 2.7L Santa Fe spark plug replacement

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm pleased to have found you. I recently volunteered to do 60,000 mile service on niece's 01 2.7 V6 Santa Fe. Plugs are recommended. I'm guessing the back 3 will be the most difficult. Any tips, suggestions or how-tos?
Thanks
Tom Hutton
Colorado Springs

Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Default RE: 01 2.7L Santa Fe spark plug replacement

You'll have to remove the top half of the air intake and then remove the plugsjust as the front ones. Use anti sieze compound on the threads so the plugs dont weld to the head when you put the new ones in. Also try and decarbon the engine first. If you have a lot of carbon on the threads and it begins to roll up in the threads as you unscreww the plugs, it can bind and then tear up the soft aluminum head. Also remove the plugs while the block is cold.

Replace the top air intake gasket and you're good for another 60K. Dont wait for 96K as the book indicates. Too long to leave plugs inan aluminum head.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the tips. I downloaded diagrams from hmaservice.com which helped alot. But this was still a challenge (the back three anyway). I now understand why local dealer quoted me $350 as I spent most of an afternoon on this and my back and shoulders are barking today. Lots of blind bolts and I also fought reattachment of the throttle and cruise cables. Lost one of my favorite sockets (10mm 1/4 drive Stahwille) into the black cavern. Minor suprise, too, that factory platinum plugs (NGK -- not the usual Champions I expected in Hyundai) were very worn at 60,000. Gaps had widened to about .75-.80, about double the spec. Replacements were Autolite "single" plats that got a light coat of anti-seize and will get replaced at 60,000, too (though maybe by neice's boyfriend or husband by then). Oh, and a correction to the year. This was an '02 Santa Fe LX. Nice car.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Hello, I am trying to replace my spark plugs and I cannot figure out how to get to the back 3. I read your comments on how you went to another website and got the "hot to" diagrams. i cannot locate them and was hoping you could e-mail them to me. i don't feel like paying the mechanic $430.00 dollars to have him do it. i would really appreciate it. Thank you.
my e-mail address is mrornelas69@yahoo.com

Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Yoz

Hi 430$ fore change that i need to move over to USA and work on Hyundai cars
You need to lift up the intake fore change the spark pluggs fore the cylicerbank at the back

Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 PM

This may be a little too late for your question, Probably 10,000 miles or so...

This guide is the best on the web http://members.aol.com/dwjatwwk/santafe.html

It took about 2 hours for just the back 3 for me, but I saved over $400...

I have an '03 2.7L V6 Santa Fe and the only differences from those outlined on the web-site are:

1. you have to remove the oil cap to get the engine cover off (LOL) took me 5 minutes to figure that out.

2. When you hit step/page 9 (3 tie down bolt removal). I have a 2 bolt bracket holding I think a vacuum hose on the center bolt and the bolt nearest the throttle body. (Not mentioned in the how-to for the '01)

Hope this helps!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Be careful putting too much antiseeze on those plugs then you get a grounding problem, we dont use antiseeze on em anymore. Try to use the ngk platinum plug I have seen others cause misfires and if it is a non resistor plug you can burn up a coil. I love doing these 2.7 once you do them for a while you get them down to 25 minutes.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Hi guys...I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone else had a copy of the AOL how-to guide for changing these plugs? The link in a previous post is dead - but I could really use the instructions. Thanks!!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I don't own a Santa Fe but the 2.7L V6 in the Santa Fe is that same engine as the 2.7L V6 in the 2003-up Tib (with some minor differences to fit the different chassis). Below are 2 links on how to do iton the Tib. It should be the same for the Santa Fe.

This one explains how to remove both the upper and lower manifolds (you only need to do the upper half):
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70634

Make sure to get a new upper manifold gasket.Some people have reused the original because you are only sealing air (not fuel, oil or coolant) but a new one is cheap insurance.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:27 PM

That's great - thanks...I think that with this information I should be able to handle the job myself. That should make it much more affordable than the $290 the dealer wants to do it. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: 01 2.7L Santa Fe spark plug replacement