Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

02 Santa Fe idles fine then dies on accel

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Default 02 Santa Fe idles fine then dies on accel

Have an 02 Santa fe that is exhibiting the following issues:

It starts fine and idles ok. It's a little rough but not terrible.
If you give it gas it'll throttle up and then dies. If you let off of the gas before it dies it will return to idling. We replaced the Catalytic Converter with a new one on the advice of a mechanic but that didn't solve the issue.

I disconnected the air feed to eliminate the MAC from the system and it has exactly the same issues so reconnected that.

The problem seems to get worse as the engine warms up. I think the problem is somewhere in the EGR/EGV but am having trouble isolating which piece it is. Any ideas for troubleshooting this? It won't run well enough to get it to a shop for a code scan.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM

My 2002 2.7v6, 60k miles----, that i just bought two weeks just started doing this in a similair fashion. Honestly, i went to a automatic car wash, came out and car stalled in park. Ever since than, car has been stalling at very low speed pulling away, or at a traffic light, and trans slipping at same time. However, what is interesting is that my idle is perfect in park/neutral, very tight, with no engine codes, but rpms will suddenly drop to zero, and than surge back up to normal a few times before eventually dieing.

And, it seems to only do this when car is warmed up
. I am convinced that carwash messed up a sensor, and EGR valves are usually lower half of engine so maybe high pressure under carriege wash did something. I brought to a transmission place, he tells me dying in park means its not your transmission. Than he test drives it while it is experiencing the stalling problem and he is like your transmission is shot. I dont agree, a sensor broke somewhere causing transmission and car to act a mess. Although i have no check engine light, or any stored codes, which could give emphasis to a transmission problem, but who says the computer is actually working properly anyway, or could you have a bad sensor without an engine code.

I am leading towards a timing belt or camshaft sensor or egr valve, or simple tune up, or fuel system/pump issue. It cant be the transmission, stalling at low speed or in park is not the transmission, unless anybody can assist that would be great, otherwise i am selling this. after purchasing it 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!!!! if you get any info elsewhere please post to assist me, and i will do the same......

Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 PM

I will. Thanks. Our problems seem unrelated but who knows. I'm pretty sure that my problem is somewhere in the EGR system but can't seem to isolate it.

Old 11-16-2023, 03:44 PM
Default Did you solve this. ? I have the exact same problem. I know it was long ago but it wo

Did you solve this. ? I have the exact same problem. I know it was long ago but it would really help

Originally Posted by Sylander
Have an 02 Santa fe that is exhibiting the following issues:

It starts fine and idles ok. It's a little rough but not terrible.
If you give it gas it'll throttle up and then dies. If you let off of the gas before it dies it will return to idling. We replaced the Catalytic Converter with a new one on the advice of a mechanic but that didn't solve the issue.

I disconnected the air feed to eliminate the MAC from the system and it has exactly the same issues so reconnected that.

The problem seems to get worse as the engine warms up. I think the problem is somewhere in the EGR/EGV but am having trouble isolating which piece it is. Any ideas for troubleshooting this? It won't run well enough to get it to a shop for a code scan.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:02 AM

From what you describe it sounds like a crank sensor or connection involving the crank sensor.