Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Santa Fe (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/)
-   -   '03 Santa Fe 2.4L Hesitation (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/03-santa-fe-2-4l-hesitation-715/)

fixitpimp 12-28-2005 11:38 PM

'03 Santa Fe 2.4L Hesitation

I have a Santa Fe with a hesitation problem. It is an '03 FWD MT 2.4L 4-cyl model. I bought this car a couple years ago with 10k miles on it and now its got about 29k. We've absolutely loved it, except for its one little quirk. Sometimes when you're starting out the engine will hesitate severly for a couple seconds, after which the engine takes off. It doesn't seem to happen at any certain time... it seems random. Sometimes you can drive it all day and then have it hesitate on takeoff. This can be a little scary when you're making a left turn and gunning it into traffic, only to have it hesitate and carry you just far enough to block the oncoming lanes, then after a second or two with the pedal to the metal, the engine takes off and the tires squeel, the whole time with the clutch engaged. Then my wife smacks me and tells me to stop driving like a maniac. But its not me, its the car!

Also, It will also almost stall sometimes when idling at a red light for long periods of time.

I had it in to a dealer last summer and they told me there weren't any codes in the computer and they couldn't find anything wrong or even duplicate the problem, but its still hesitates. I've checked the intake hose after the MAF and its nice and tight. The connector on the TPS was not completely inserted, but after I clipped it all the way on, it still hesitates. A mechanic friend of mine suggested that it may be a plugged fuel filter, but it doesn't look like this would be an easy filter to replace since its in the tank.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, another small issue... This car will make a loud, high pitched wining noise which follows the engine RPM when its really cold, but it goes away after a couple of minutes with the engine running.

Thanks!

Brant 12-30-2005 09:24 PM

RE: '03 Santa Fe 2.4L Hesitation

Just a shut in the dark here but, have tried any type of fuel system cleaners??
Brant

fixitpimp 12-31-2005 12:53 AM

I haven't tried any fuel system cleaners. Do you think this might help? If so, any recommendations for a fuel system cleaner brand?

Thanks for your reply!

onetimer 02-07-2006 11:35 AM

how did that work out for you I would like to know cuz I have a similar problem

fixitpimp 02-25-2006 05:43 AM

I ran the fuel system cleaner (Chevron Techron concentrate) through and it still hesitates. I replaced the spark plugs and it made no difference. This is a minor anoyance that happens infrequently, so I may just have to live with it. :(

freestyler 04-25-2006 11:59 PM

sorry to hear that been driving my st fe since oct 2003, done 95,000km now.. no problem. It's normal with the morning start and a high rev... but i have no hesistation problem ever. I suspect it could be any one or more of below :

1) Fuel injector
2) Fuel filter
3) ignition coil

i suggest you bring it back to your Hyundai agent and have it check

flave1 04-27-2006 06:57 PM

just for those people in the uk there is an ecu down load available at the dealers that irradicates this problem but i dont know if its available anywhere else.:D

mkurely 04-28-2006 05:47 AM

I have an 02 accent and it hesitated for about a month and a half especially if I gave it a lot of gas or it was at a high rev. It turns out it was my spark plug wires I took then off one by one and inspected them then replaced them and sure enough on plug wire 3 there was a bubble in the wire so I changed them and the problem is now gone. So try that and let me know what your outcome is

hyundai tech 05-11-2006 01:20 AM

Your dealer should perform tsb# 04-36-017 for hesitation problem.It is a simple download.Other things I have seen are the crank blade behind the timing belt gear cause problems. The crank blade key slot becomes loose and allows the blade to move which causes a hesitation due to crank position.I would start there with the download first.Common procedure that applies to 2003-2004 Sante -Fe.:eek:

oldgit62 10-25-2007 01:55 PM

I guys i to have this so hesitation and have been in to hyundai no codes showing and they made calls to main technical guy and they said there is no download for the santa-fe 2003 at the moment said he wanted to investigate problem further this is in the united kingdom he wanted to check crankshaft key and also pulley and sensor for play on the crankshaft and also cambelt condition good luck to any body with this problem and if you now a cure give me an email REGARD S OLDGIT.