Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

09 Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Default 09 Santa Fe

Hi guys, I am ready to buy a new 09 SF, I am wondering if any of you guys who already own one have had experienced any problems with it.
I would appreciate any info. Thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 09:31 AM
fab

All is good....

Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM

No I have a 07 and it has been great. It has 14,000 miles on it.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 PM

08 GLS/18,000 miles here. Love it. Wish mileage could be better around town but other than that it's a sweet ride for a family with two car seats.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

People complain about buying '08s leftovers. Apparently the tires get flat spots from sitting on the car lot too long and the tires will vibrate at higher speeds. Take it out on the highway, and drive it fast to make sure it doesn't vibrate.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:09 PM

Been on highway trips with no problems. Mine was a rental so I don't think it sat very much.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Thumbs up

Got an 07 Limited AWD.. Been a great vehicle after 36K miles already.. Only major issue was that the rack and pinion would lock on me when I made sharp right turns and the dealer had to replace that unit. otherwise, brakes and tires still original and I expect another 5K out of the tires for sure...As for mileage.. it does vary but this past weekend, filling up with Maryland gas ( something about that gas versus other gas ) got 25.2 mpg on a 126 mile trip up 95 doing 75 most of the way.. Cannot complain about that.. Winter time I avg between 16 and 18 mixed...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM

Good morning to all,

Here my experience so far with my 2007 Santa Fe. I bought this vehicle in March 2007, so far I have 32,000km ( about 20000 miles). Not very high as I bike to work most of the summer and fall season.

Here the problems I have encounter so far with my SF.
- On delivery the driver panel wood portion was painted gray, changed by dealer ship the following week.

- At about 15,000 km my gas gauge started to "acted up". It would never show full, after numerous visits to the dealer ship for diagnostic they order the 2 sending units and changed them. In the process they broke my back seat cover and numerous plastic trim parts. It looks like the person who worked on my car didn't knew where the sending units where??## Made me mad, but they changed the back seat cover and the trim parts. So far so good.

- At about 22,000 km I had a rattle in the front right wheel, on my first service I had complained about a intermittent problem with the front right suspension, but was told all good and solid. This this the sway bar link was broken... It was replaced. But the noise was still there.

- At about 30, 000 km I was installing my winter tires and noticed a leak on my front right strut, brought it to the dealer a few days later and they changed the front strut.... And a miracle happen the noise in the front right suspension disappear... Only took 30,000 km and several visits to the dealership.

- At the same time, my gas gauge started to acted up again, the dealer after several weeks of waiting for Hyundai to answer their tech about the problem reorder the 2 sending units. They arrived broken... The bottom part of my leather seat was cracking and the dealer indicated the have it replaced at the other end, because in the mist of this I was moving across the country. So the car was transported across the country not driven.

-I visited a new dealer ship about my issue with my gas gauge, they changed the 2 sending units. They also told me that several pieces around the sending units had to be changed... Two broken connectors, some rings and other plastic parts that were apparently broken by the "other dealer ship".
-For the seat issue, pictures were taken and I was told several time that this had happened before and obviously was not me cutting the seat but just cause by the fact that Hyundai uses vinyl on this portion of the seat..... VINYL I said WOW.... not really impressed there for the quality of product.

Last week I received a call from the dealership, they said that Hyundai will only fix the problem of my seat on "goodwill" as this is not warranty. So Hyundai has just told me that my seat expected life span is 2 year or 30,000 km. To add insult to injury they will clue my seat back and a scar will show!!! I never seen that before, I have owned car with leather seats before, I know how to take care of the seat and never had this problem. I am used the creases and wear of the leather, but never like that. ( I have attached pictures).
Since I have visited a different dealership, and they indicated that they had successful replaced just the portion that is cracked through an upholstery company and Hyundai had paid for the repairs.... We will see how this pan out.

Anyone else had problem with their leather seats cracking?

Now my brakes are not doing good, even after the dealer had them cleaned lubed and inspected, I have a weird noise coming from the brake pedal area. I have to almost pump the brakes to have a decent braking distance..... Brakes done at 32,000 km... Why not...

This is my first Hyundai and so far I had several issues, not major one, but very annoying when it takes several visits to have them fix. And in Canada we don't have the Lemon law, so if my gas gauge acts stupid again, I am doomed to have the sending units replaced!!!

Hyundai good price, but doesn't age very well.

My two cents.

On the flip side, a friend of mine just purchased a Toyota Venza and the paint job looks like it had been through hell and back, so I would say whatever vehicle you purchase now a days they all kind of equivalent.

Attached Thumbnails 09 Santa Fe-1.jpg   09 Santa Fe-2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Wow. According to Consumer Reports the Santa Fe has a "better than average" reliability rating over it's life since 2001 (better than the Subaru Forester). The 07's get a "very good" reliability rating (remember, first year of new design). Interestingly, the fuel system and body hardware reliability for 07 get a "good" rating which is CR's way of saying "just average".

Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
fab

Hi I have a 09 so far so good.......09 GLS (canada)