Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2008 Santa Fe Limited Fuel Gauge and Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Default 2008 Santa Fe Limited Fuel Gauge and Engine Light

A couple months ago, my fuel gauge started reading lower that what it should read. I started having to use my trip odometer to determine when to refuel because it became too unreliable. About the same time the problems with the gauge started, my check engine light started coming on when the gauge read around half a tank. After I filled up my tank, the check engine light would go off after a few engine starts. I can't help but think that the two issues are related. Has anyone else had this issue? I know that if the gas cap is not on tight that the check engine light will come on. Could there be an issue with fuel tank pressure that's causing both of these issues?

Thank you,
Andy

Old 12-15-2017, 03:17 PM

I just had that issue with my '07 Santa Fe with about 106,000 miles. I took it to the dealer, and it was the fuel sensors (apparently there are two). It cost $700+ to fix (I think a lot of that was labor). The fuel sensors go into the gas tank from below the rear seat. I'm guessing that the seat has to come out, which is likely time consuming. If you have the work done, one thing to pay attention to is that during the repair, some gasoline odor got into the cabin, and persisted for over a week. I was told by the service writer that some gas odor is common, but that it usually goes away in a few days. After a week, I sprayed some odor-control scent, which mostly took care of the problem. If you get yours fixed, I would warn them about minimizing the gas odor up front.

Good luck

Howard