Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Santa Fe (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/)
-   -   Accelerator Chip in Onboard Computer (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-santa-fe-20/accelerator-chip-onboard-computer-8493/)

Buck 06-15-2010 06:51 PM

Accelerator Chip in Onboard Computer

My 08 3.3 L AWD Santa Fe experienced a accelerator chip malfunction last Nov. while visiting in Michigan (I live in Ontario). Vehicle went into limp home mode and I was able to get off the road (Sunday) night and take the car to a Hyundai Dealership on Monday following. After several calls from the dealership to Hyundai USA and Hyundai USA calling Hyundai Canada a "reprogramming" of the onboard computer under warranty was approved by Canada rather than a chip replacement. The dealership advised they felt the chip was faulty but they could not replace it without Hyundai Canada approval. In May on a trip to South Carolina the identical problem reoccurred. I was fortunate that there was a dealership in Myrtle Beach (the next nearest was 80 miles away). It took Hyundai Canada 4 days to approve the replacement of the faulty chip during which I had to rent a car, take a hotel etc... at at total cost of me of almost $1000 USD. I tried to claim the expense from Hyundai Canada (with all receipts and warranty claims for both Michigan and South Carolina) but was advised that "as per page 5 of your service passport consequential damages are ot covered by warranty." I spoke to the Hyundai represetative and was told their policy is rigid and inflexible. I ask the Pres. and Ceo. Mr. Kelleher to intervene to rectify this injustice to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am out $1000 USD for out of pocket expenses on a warranty repair that if properly approved by Hyundai Canada last Nov. would not likely have reoccurred. I am angry and frustrated with Hyundai Canada and would like to find a way to make them pay.

Buck

NovaResource 06-16-2010 06:53 AM

What is an "accelerator chip"? I've never heard of one.

sbr711 06-16-2010 07:28 AM

There is no "Accel Chip"....

I will speculate you had the common "3 code" set for throttle position, 2106, 1295, 2135, and in rare cases -> 0638...

Extremely simple solution, replace the TPS with appropriate part (updated) and program..

There should have been no phone calling,, haggling/delays.. let program burn while installing throttle sensor.. Same OBD-II system in Canada as USA.

PCM has no "chip".. only a re-programmable ROM, most cars been able to reprogram since 2000

Buck 06-17-2010 05:51 AM

SBR711 and Nova Resource -TPS P2106, P1295, P2135

Nova: I think the proper term is likely Throttle Position Sensor but not sure of that.

Thanks to both: SBR 711 - You are dead on with what is on the service invoice from the Michigan dealer. "DTCS in history P2106, P1295, P2135 Throttle position sensor 1 & 2 signal correlation."

I am not a mechanic and therefore don't understand what this stuff means but from what you have said, you believe this to be a simple fix. Replace the part and reprogram which is what the Mich. dealer recommended however Hyundai Canada apparently, from what I was told, only approved a reprogramming. I am into one huge cat fight with Hyundai and fear that I will loose this one as I don't have the resources to take them to court or much else other than ask my friends to help. I am a pensioner and $1000 to me is a lot of money.

Thanks to both of you for the help.

Buck.

Norell 06-23-2010 08:05 AM

Norell

:) 2008 Hundyia 15,000 miles. I had the same troubel. I lost all power but the car would still Idle. I was 2 miles from home on a country road and managed to make it home. Hundyia pickup my car up and replaced the throttle position sensor. No cost to me.