Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Accelerator Chip in Onboard Computer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Default Accelerator Chip in Onboard Computer

My 08 3.3 L AWD Santa Fe experienced a accelerator chip malfunction last Nov. while visiting in Michigan (I live in Ontario). Vehicle went into limp home mode and I was able to get off the road (Sunday) night and take the car to a Hyundai Dealership on Monday following. After several calls from the dealership to Hyundai USA and Hyundai USA calling Hyundai Canada a "reprogramming" of the onboard computer under warranty was approved by Canada rather than a chip replacement. The dealership advised they felt the chip was faulty but they could not replace it without Hyundai Canada approval. In May on a trip to South Carolina the identical problem reoccurred. I was fortunate that there was a dealership in Myrtle Beach (the next nearest was 80 miles away). It took Hyundai Canada 4 days to approve the replacement of the faulty chip during which I had to rent a car, take a hotel etc... at at total cost of me of almost $1000 USD. I tried to claim the expense from Hyundai Canada (with all receipts and warranty claims for both Michigan and South Carolina) but was advised that "as per page 5 of your service passport consequential damages are ot covered by warranty." I spoke to the Hyundai represetative and was told their policy is rigid and inflexible. I ask the Pres. and Ceo. Mr. Kelleher to intervene to rectify this injustice to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am out $1000 USD for out of pocket expenses on a warranty repair that if properly approved by Hyundai Canada last Nov. would not likely have reoccurred. I am angry and frustrated with Hyundai Canada and would like to find a way to make them pay.

Buck

Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

What is an "accelerator chip"? I've never heard of one.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 AM

There is no "Accel Chip"....

I will speculate you had the common "3 code" set for throttle position, 2106, 1295, 2135, and in rare cases -> 0638...

Extremely simple solution, replace the TPS with appropriate part (updated) and program..

There should have been no phone calling,, haggling/delays.. let program burn while installing throttle sensor.. Same OBD-II system in Canada as USA.

PCM has no "chip".. only a re-programmable ROM, most cars been able to reprogram since 2000

Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Default SBR711 and Nova Resource -TPS P2106, P1295, P2135

Nova: I think the proper term is likely Throttle Position Sensor but not sure of that.

Thanks to both: SBR 711 - You are dead on with what is on the service invoice from the Michigan dealer. "DTCS in history P2106, P1295, P2135 Throttle position sensor 1 & 2 signal correlation."

I am not a mechanic and therefore don't understand what this stuff means but from what you have said, you believe this to be a simple fix. Replace the part and reprogram which is what the Mich. dealer recommended however Hyundai Canada apparently, from what I was told, only approved a reprogramming. I am into one huge cat fight with Hyundai and fear that I will loose this one as I don't have the resources to take them to court or much else other than ask my friends to help. I am a pensioner and $1000 to me is a lot of money.

Thanks to both of you for the help.

Buck.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Default Norell

2008 Hundyia 15,000 miles. I had the same troubel. I lost all power but the car would still Idle. I was 2 miles from home on a country road and managed to make it home. Hundyia pickup my car up and replaced the throttle position sensor. No cost to me.