Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

sticky accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Default sticky accelerator

I have a 2005 Santa Fe that has had a sticky accelerator ever since I got it. I cannot accelerate smoothly - the gas pedal seems to stick and when it finally gets past the sticky point, the vehicle lurches forward. I have had the car back to the dealer numerous times and they can't figure out what's causing it. It has been lubricated, taken apart to look for kinks, etc., and they still can'r figure out what's wrong. Because this is a manual transmission car, it has contributed to clutch problems, because I have to be really careful to let the clutch out slowly, so that I'm not moving too fast when it finally get's past the sticky point. The dealer is replacing the clutch under warranty, but that doesn't help my accelerator problem. Has anyone else had this difficulty? If so, how did they fix it?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Default RE: sticky accelerator

Hi,

I have the same problem. I haven't had it inspected though, but always suspected that something needed lubrication. 'Course, I'm not as sure about that anymore.
Related to that is when starting uphill (e. g. at traffic lights), the brake warning light comes on and stays lit for anywhere from five to 20 seconds. Doesn't have any other effects at all.