Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Accelerator locks up when "floored"

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 AM
jsi
Default Accelerator locks up when "floored"

While giving my 2009 Santa Fe the once over, and testing all of the features, I put the accelerator to the floor, and found that it locked up there. I don't mind telling you that it scared the crap out of me. So, being the curious sort, I did it again, to see if the same thing happened. It sure did. I'm not entirely clear on the fastest way to get it to release. I guess my question is, is this normal behavior? Is this the way it was designed? It was pretty danged scary, and I need to know if it is me or the car....

Thanks in advance!

J

Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

No, that's not normal. Have it looked at by the dealer. It's probably something minor causing a major problem.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:16 AM
jsi

Thanks again Nova!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 AM

Don't give it a shot of gas when starting. I did that once....once. While starting 'another make' (but I won't say ford) I was in a typical rush, in winter and started the engine, giving it a shot of gas, along with pulling it into gear a second later. As you can guess, the pedal stuck and I was racing toward a concrete building, so with no time to slow down I slammed the darn thing into park (didn't care about tranny, company vehicle ). Guess the same thing can happen to you while driving, I'd be very careful because if you shut the engine down while moving (first reaction would be to shove it to neutral or clutch in and then shut engine down to prevent over rev), you may lock the steering up whille trying to pull over. Can become a tricky situation in traffic. I'd get it fixed asap.