Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

doors closing, windows down, noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Default doors closing, windows down, noise

I know on this forum and others, the issue with the windows being down while driving has been posted before. It plays a number on the ears and is somewhat unbearable. I haven't seen an explanation for it, so I'd like to propose the potential problem, it may even explain other noises. I thought about this while I was closing doors the other day while cleaning the Santa Fe.

If I close one door, it doesn't matter which, there is a noise in the right rear, a rattle, or like something is loose. I've checked under the wheel well, in the rear, all over and I can't find the source. If other doors or windows are open, I don't hear the noise when closing a door. Because of this, I assume its cabin pressure/compression being increased when closing the door.

Thinking about it, I visualize a one way valve to equalize cabin pressure when a door is being shut. It would also explain the issue of driving with the windows down. When driving with the windows down, cabin pressure increases as the fast moving air out side compresses inside the car. That would trigger a one way valve to equalize pressure. But it would do it over and over again causing the "whump whump whump" inside the car.

Does anyone have knowledge of this type of mechanism on this car or others?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM

the problem and the noise comes frome the damper i have the same problem...if you change the damper's for example with monroe the noise will be gone......a friend of mine did it!!!!!!!!