Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Default Flywheel

Hello

We own a Spanish registered Santa Fe, dec 2001.

Currently just over 153,000 kms

The clutch is starting to wear out so looking at getting a clutch kit.

The engine is 2L turbo diesel, CRDI.

Motor Code D4EA
Chassis code SC81V

The supplier of the kits is asking if the flywheel is a single or dual mass.

How can I find out which it is ?

Many thanks

Robin...

Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robin
The supplier of the kits is asking if the flywheel is a single or dual mass.

How can I find out which it is ?
Other than by looking at the clutch, I don't know. The following is the best side-by-side photos I could come with showing the single mass on the left, dual mass on the right.

In the U.S, Hyundai does have a TSB that discusses replacing the dual mass with a single mass unit for improved durability.

http://www.hmaservice.com/files/331/.../04-40-013.pdf

The TSB does list the necessary Hyundai parts to complete the swap.

Hope this helps

Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by ken99
Other than by looking at the clutch, I don't know. The following is the best side-by-side photos I could come with showing the single mass on the left, dual mass on the right.

Thanks ken

Looks like I need to do some more research on this.

But do you mean :-

Single mass on Right
Dual mass on Left

Or are the descriptions wrong way round as the service bulletin shows replace dual with single ?

Single mass is supposed to be better, I take it ?

Would it also be reasonable to assume that mine being an early model it is more likely to have dual ?

I did get a quote from hyundai garage but price was very high for parts.

They quoted clutch part number 411003910, cover 4130039115.

DOnt know if this helps to identify which I have ?

Thanks

Robin...

Last edited by Robin; 03-16-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 AM

Single mass on Right
Dual mass on Left

Or are the descriptions wrong way round as the service bulletin shows replace dual with single ?
No, the columns in the pictures are correct. The column on the right even says "Dual Mass". The pictures are from a different TSB (actually to a Sonata), not the one I provide a link to. This is a U.S. market TSB, so part numbers may be different in Spain. The pictures were for reference purposes. The TSB link was to offer up the possability that is doesn't matter if your SF is dual mass, a solid clutch flywheel can be installed regardless and is likely to be more durable.

Last edited by ken99; 03-16-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM

Hello Ken

What confused me is on the image its says "new" (dual mass).

But I thought dual mass had been replaced by single.

I spoke to dealer today, who said mine should be dual mass unless clutch has been replaced in past.

I have not but just checking with previous owner if he had done so.

Can a clutch fit a dual or single mass flywheel ?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Hello Ken

What confused me is on the image its says "new" (dual mass).

But I thought dual mass had been replaced by single.

I spoke to dealer today, who said mine should be dual mass unless clutch has been replaced in past.

I have not but just checking with previous owner if he had done so.
Single or solid mass clutches are old technology, probably used in industrial applications dating back well before the automobile. The pictures were lifted from a 2002 TSB for a Sonata simply to show you the differences in the way the components look. In 2001/2002, the dual mass clutch was new technology in mass produced automobiles. Hyundai received a lot of complaints about the initial dual mass clutch durability, especially in the Santa Fe. The link I sent you was an altenative solution by retrofitting to a single mass (w/ a conventional solid mass flywheel) clutch system.

Can a clutch fit a dual or single mass flywheel ?
The main components of the manual clutch include the flywheel, the clutch disk, the clutch pressure plate and the throw out bearing. When a clutch is rebuilt, the clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing are usually replaced with new components. Depending on the amount of wear on a single mass or solid mass flywheel, it may be used asis, have the face milled or resurfaced to remove minor imperfections, or replaced. A dual mass flywheel should always be replaced, which is one of the reasons a dual mass system is more expensive to repair (the components simply cost more as well). You cannot mix the flywheel, disk and pressure plate components of the two types, it's either a dual mass or a single mass system. Assuming you have a dual mass clutch in the vehicle, you can ask your mechanic if it is feasible to simply install a single mass clutch. Any subsequent repairs to the clutch should be cheaper.

Last edited by ken99; 03-16-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 AM

From digging back in history of car found out clutch was replaced under warranty early in its life. So from what garage told me the flywheel should have been replaced at same time.

Anyhow now going to order up a clutch kit for single mass type.

Fingers crossed.

:-)

thanks