Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Hyundai Santa Fe reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Default Hyundai Santa Fe reliability

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

So far 149 Hyundai Santa Fe owners have signed up to participate. Most of these are for the 2007 though. The only other year close to the minimum sample size needed for data collection is the 2003.

In other words, more participants are very much needed for nearlyall model years.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Default RE: Hyundai Santa Fe reliability

And now 167. Still need more participants for all years.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Latest results recently posted for the 2007. It continues to have a worse than average repair rate, which is also worse than other Hyundais in the results.

As the second year, the 2008 is probably better, but not enough owners are participating to provide a result for this year.

I'd like to include additional model years in future updates.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM

Partial result for the 2008 this month. Need more participants for a full result.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM

We'll have another set of results in November. Just two responses short of a full result for the 2008 currently.

For years before 2007 (and the 2009, once it's available) we need more participants to post a result.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM

04 santa fe bought new 4cylinder engine automatic tranny 136000 miles still runs great usedvalvoline oil and any name brand oil filter on sale used same with air filter . have replaced timeing belts and all drive belts every 60.000 miles also for sheets and giggles replaced all belt tension bearings for all belts both timeing and accesories. also last time i replaced timeing belts i went ahead and replaced the water pump because if it goes bad you have to take timeing belts off to get to it. also replaced spark plugs about every 60.000. Hyundais are good cars but as with anything you have to do good maintance.like i said ive got 136.000 on this truck and feel i made a good buy. the only problem i ever had was one coil went bad and caused a miss i think it had about 70.000 miles on it when it happend but she still ran well enough to get to a shop tp be fixed. thanks for reading this hope it answerd a reliability question or two.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Updated results soon for the 2007 and 2008. Additional participants needed to have results for other years.

Help get your year included:

Hyundai reliability research

Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM

We have updated results for the Santa Fe. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 66, about average

2008: 27, better than average

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover earlier model years.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the Santa Fe:

Hyundai Santa Fe reliability comparisons

Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM

We have updated results for the Santa Fe. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 59, about average

2008: 19, better than average

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Hyundai Santa Fe reliability comparisons

Old 08-20-2009, 07:05 AM

315 Santa Fe owners now signed up. A good start, but more are needed to provide precise results for all model years.

Help get your year included:

Car reliability research

Quick Reply: Hyundai Santa Fe reliability