Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

intermittent electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Default intermittent electrical issues

All,

I have a 2001, Santa Fe, LX, 4WD, tow package, and moon roof and live in Phoenix, AZ.

In December of 2005 I noticed that all of the lights in and on my vehicle were flickering intermittently in unison (approx 5-10x a m/s); headlights, tail lights, dash lights, reading lamps, head lamp, etc. I watched the issue carefully as to explain to the dealership the details for easy finding. Needless to say the issue stopped in January and February of 2006.

March 2006, welcome the intermittent electrical issue once again. This time it brought a friend. That friend is an issue that causes all the same lights that flicker to fade to black when slowing to a stop and then re-light as the accelerator is pushed on. Again this is also intermittent. I have captured both issues on video for the dealership to analyze. If anyone needs to see them I can supply but global space that is left according to this site is 8.79mb.

I have taken it to the dealership 4 times for this issue and they have replaced the alternator after confirming no issues with the alternator and traced and checked every ground wire.

Previous work that was done in reference was an alternator change that was needed in September of 2005 and a fan blower switch that had failed on me 3 times in 2005.

Anyone have any suggesstions please? The dealership is looking at me with shrugged shoulders and saying, "uh, we have no idea".

Scott

Old 07-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Default RE: intermittent electrical issues

I too have 2001 Santa Fe 4wd that has some of the same issues. The dash lights, ac blower and radio will cut off for a second or two. sometimes the rpm will dip lower and the car has occasionally died while at a stop sign. When driving over 40 mph or accellerating The car will jerk from the lack of temporary power loss. I took the car to my mechanic and he did some searching and decided to replace a crankcase module that was cracked, while in the shop I had him replace the timing belt, plugs and wires ( car has 60k). the car still acts the same but seems to have gotten worst. This problem may not show its ugly head again for a couple of weeks but seems to always come back. I too was thinking alternator but I am not sure. Any ideas from a professional or someone who has had this happen to them. Give us the solution.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:50 PM

MS,

I have now taken it to the dealer 7 times for the same issue over the period five months and no results. They have replaced the battery, the body control module, the electronic control module, the alternator, and checked every possible ground. No success.

I have contacted Hyundai consumer affairs about the issue yesterday and they are processing my request. They have informed me that they will be sending a regional inspector to the dealership to handle the issue. I will keep you informed. Maybe you should call consumer affairs as well? 800-633-5151 option 8. They seemed to be extremely helpful, I hope it stays that way. I have begun to seek legal advice.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:19 PM

Gentlemen,

I don't know what the situation is like in the US. Maybe issues and conditions (and the cars themselves) are a bit different and advice from here may not count for much, however...

I had the same ongoing problem in the past, with a Ford Falcon (it's a 6 & V8 Aust family size Model) and I also have`` brother who suffered the same sort of thing a few years later (in a different car type altogether...!!

In both cases the problem was completely solved as soon as the Towing Electrics were removed and thrown to the ****house. Towing plugs can sometimes, I'm told, cause these widespread, intermittent 'head-scratchers'.

I hope this may help, since I heard in another post that masonstone still has these probs.

'For what it's worth'

Regards,
Brensec

Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 PM

I too have the same issue with my '99 accent. All the lights seem to surge brighter approximately 2-3 times a second. I was initially suspect of a voltage regulator but the alternator was new about 40k ago. The problem is getting worse.

Anyone have similar experience or have any ideas?

Old 09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Extra ground wires may help. Also, it could be a sign of a battery going bad.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:38 PM

Anyone ever make traction on this issue? It describes my Santa Fe's issues pretty well. As it is very intermittent, I'm not excited about taking to a dealer.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 PM

FWIW I called the hyundai consumer affairs number and they would not admit they have heard of the problem.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

You know, before you start blaming Hyundai, why don't you get the car looked at by a mechanic first. It is a 7+ year old car. Things like the battery go bad in that time. How old are the battery and wires?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
You know, before you start blaming Hyundai, why don't you get the car looked at by a mechanic first. It is a 7+ year old car. Things like the battery go bad in that time. How old are the battery and wires?
I hear ya. I replaced the battery about 3 years ago. I haven't seen indication of the battery dying (slow starts, lights left on etc.) I have seen more indication of electrical flakiness. The fuel gauge intermittently is showing less fuel than capacity. The engine dies while driving down the road. The engine dying problem has been happening since before I replaced the battery.

Quick Reply: intermittent electrical issues