Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Is this an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Default Is this an issue?

I have 2.0 Turbo 2013 Santa Fe. When idling if I open the breather cap there is actually some 'puffing' that come out. It has 66k on it. I'm 3rd owner. Engine has lots of power.
I'm new here and to the Hyundai Turbo engine.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:15 AM

I do not know about your question. I do want to ask if you are new to operating a turbo engine... well, taking care of one, actually.

There are nuances to owning a turbo... like when you are going to shut down, it is best if you let a turbo charged engine idle a while before shutting it off. This allows the lubricating oil in the turbo to drain and cool so that it does not bake on the turbo bearing, causing premature failure and expensive repairs. Many diesel trucks today, actually have a timer on them now, that lets them idle for three-five minutes after you turn off the key and lock the truck up. This way you don't have to wait around.

Bootstrapping
turbo lag

There are good turbo tips on youtube and the internet. I review them occasionally just to make sure I haven't forgotten.

Last edited by FabricGATOR; 11-21-2016 at 09:17 AM.