Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Loud Noise in Wheel Base

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Default Loud Noise in Wheel Base

I have a 2001 Santa Fe that when bought 1 yr ago seemed a little loud (kind of like a mild roar) when driving. thought maybe it was normal enough, not being familiar with Santa Fe's at the time. Now it is louder, to the point of being annoying. It is not the transmission (sound does not change when rolling and taking out of gear). It stops when coming to a stop, in fact, adjusts with speed...the faster the louder. I was suspecting wheel bearings but can't seem to get the sound to change when turning one way or the other (putting on/taking off pressure on the bearing)... I did notice when coming up over the top of a hill at a decent speed (where the pressure is off the wheels) it got quiet while briefly lifting up...

Anybody have any ideas? wheel bearings? front axle(s)? thanks for any insight.. Steve

Old 01-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Default RE: Loud Noise in Wheel Base

I have had the same noise in my 03. It sounds alot like an elephant moaning loudly. Believe it or not it is the brake pads. When they are new they have chamfered (tapered) ends but when they get to be about half worn the chamfer is gone and they vibrate or moan and it doesn't matter what you do the noise just won't quit until you replace the pads. It drove me crazy until my dealer put a set of electronic ears on the chassis to pinpoint the noise. We thought at first that it was definately the torque converter but this is what it was. I replaced the pads and the noise went away for about 45,000 miles until I needed new pads again the the moan came back.