Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Major Oil leak - NEED Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Default Major Oil leak - NEED Advice!

Hey guys,

Well, I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited. Anyway, for the past 21k miles, it's been running great. I've been running full synthetic oil since new, and today I stopped at the local NTB to have the oil changed. Well, when I went to pick the SUV up, they had me come into the service area so that they could show me a massive oil leak. The entire bottom of the engine was wet (full of oil), and you could iterally see the oil dripping out of the crank case right onto the ground. Anyway, what could this possibly be? The mechanics were talking about a bad gasket, and said that it would require a lot of time dismantling the engine and what not.

So, my question is, if anyone has had oil leak issues with their 2007/2008 3.3L engine, where was it determined that the oil was leaking from?

Also, as a side note, has anyone experienced their lug nuts rusting? Some of mine are, and the service advisor was being a ***** about replacing them under factory warranty. Should these be covered?

Thanks much!

Jeff

Old 01-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Banned
Default RE: Major Oil leak - NEED Advice!

So was the oil leak covered under warranty?

How bad was the lug nut rust?

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Banned

There is a technical service bullitin for temp sensor leaks, you need to find out for yourself where it is leaking from:

Page 1 of 2
Technical Service
Bulletin
Subject
Group
Number
Date
Model
CIRCULATE TO: [ ] GENERAL MANAGER
[X] SERVICE ADVISOR [X] SERVICE MANAGER [X] WARRANTY MGR [ ] SALES MANAGER
[X] PARTS MANAGER [X] TECHNICIAN
ENGINE MECHANICAL
08-EM-003
AUGUST, 2008
2006 - 2009 3.3L SONATA (NF)
2007-2008 3.3L SANTA FE (CM)
ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE SENSOR LEAK DIAGNOSIS
DESCRIPTION:
If a vehicle equipped with a 3.3L engine exhibits an oil leak at the oil temperature
sensor, follow the repair procedure outlined in this bulletin.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES:
Models: Santa Fe and Sonata models equipped with the 3.3L V6 engine
INSPECTION PROCEDURE:
Verify the oil leak is from the oil temperature sensor threaded area. Use of florescent
dye or baby powder can be used to isolate the source of the leak.
(See Figure 1 below.)
Figure 1
Page 2 of 2
TOOLS & MATERIALS REQUIRED:
??? 19MM Deep Socket
??? Torque Wrench
??? Permatex?? High Temperature Thread Sealant (#56521) or equivalent
SERVICE PROCEDURE:
IMPORTANT: Allow the engine to cool down enough to prevent injury.
1. Remove oil temperature sensor using the appropriate service manual.
2. Clean off any loose residue from the sealing threads of the oil temperature sensor.
3. Wipe clean the oil port and surrounding areas of the cylinder head.
4. Apply a small amount of Permatex?? High Temperature Thread Sealant (#56521) or
equivalent to the oil temperature sensor threads.
NOTE: Follow the appropriate application directions of the sealant product to
allow sufficient curing time before reassembly.
5. Reassemble the oil temperature sensor and torque to 22 lb-ft (30Nm).
6. Start engine to verify repair.
WARRANTY INFORMATION:
OP CODE OPERATION OP
TIME
CAUSAL
PART NUMBER
NATURE
CODE
CAUSE
CODE
39220R00 Reseal Oil Temperature 0.3 M/H 39220-3C100 N87 C38

Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Hello,

Ok, I received a call from the Hyundai Service Advisor at 7:30 am this morning. He stated that from looking at the engine, it's probably due to the tech/mechanic at National Tire & Battery NOT changing the "O rings" on the top of the engine. Further, he stated that an additional oil change will most likely need to be performed at $52.99 forfull-synthetic. Anyway, he then stated that he wasn't a tech, so he wasn't positive on this, but that's what it looked like. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see what the tech "finds."

Also, how much are you all paying for the rear wiper blade on the 07 Santa Fe? Mine is starting to streak, and when I inquired at Hyundai, I got a price of $50. That's such a rip off, but I can't find that blade anywhere. Any thoughts, tips, advice?

Lastly, I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever, so how would I go about verifying the oil sensor temp leak on my own?

Thanks much!

Jeff

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Banned

Start a new thread for the wiper blades, it's good for reference.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

The oil leak sounds correct. The 3.3L and 3.8L Lambda V6 engine have a differet type of oil filter that has 2 O-rings that need changing EVERY time the filter is changed. This is why you should NEVER go to places like Jiffy Lube and NTB for oil changes. They are staffed by kids that don't have a clue. Consider this a $52.99 lesson learned.

As for the rear wiper blades, that sounds about right. My Tucson is the same way. The aftermarket doesn't have a blade that fits the Hyundai style rear wiper arms. My advice, buy it cheaperfrom an online place like:
http://www.hyundaipartsonline.com/oe_parts_cat.html

Enter your year/make/model first. Then click on "Electrical" then "Chassis Electrical" then "Wipers" then "Rear Blade". The price is $32.05 + shipping

Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Well, I just heard from Hyundai. According to the Service Advisor, it is in fact the "O-Rings."

Anyway, this is definitely a lesson learned. I would have just assumed that a place like NTB was staffed with competent technicians, but I guess I learned otherwise. From now on, I will ONLY get oil changes at Hyundai.

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

To get a better understanding of what the dealer/tech is telling you, take a look at this Oil Change DIY:

http://www.jerrystout.us/sonata/tsb/diy_oil_change.pdf

The above link is for the 3.3L Lambda V6 in the Sonata but the procedure for the Santa Fe is the same.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 PM

I am late to respond but my 2007 Limited had an oil leak and it was a valve cover. Replaced under warranty.. It was on the passenger side. Noticed a grime spot near the alternator. I hear these leaks are common..

Old 05-22-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 07SanteFe
I am late to respond but my 2007 Limited had an oil leak and it was a valve cover. Replaced under warranty.. It was on the passenger side. Noticed a grime spot near the alternator. I hear these leaks are common..
I had the same issue, but the oil leak was not very big so they fixed it at the dealer and I kept and eye on it since, no leak.

Mine was not major like that!!

Quick Reply: Major Oil leak - NEED Advice!