Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

People think your headlights are your fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Default People think your headlights are your fog lights?

Since purchasing our new Ultimate a couple of months ago, there have been two times where oncoming traffic has flashed their fog lights at me at night.....I guess they think that the low headlights on the new body style are my fog lights?
They are pretty bright — good headlights, and the brights are amazing! Has this happened to anyone else here?

Old 06-27-2019, 09:35 PM

Some folks have installed very bright head and fog lights on their vehicles and they are a hazard on the road when facing oncoming traffic. Where states have requirements that fog lts can be on only with low beam.and they are not installed correctly. Stock set ups could require some altering to correct this.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Some folks have installed very bright head and fog lights on their vehicles and they are a hazard on the road when facing oncoming traffic. Where states have requirements that fog lts can be on only with low beam.and they are not installed correctly. Stock set ups could require some altering to correct this.

I was in LE for almost 32 years, so yes...I know this too.....you ought to see the expression on their faces when you give them a citation for failure to dim, or defective equipment for those goofy headlight setups.....”but officer, why would they sell them to me if they are illegal???” DUH!
I just think I was being flashed for my headlights on the Hyundai because the stock lights are set so low in the bumper — the location of most other vehicle’s fog lights, you know?

Old 06-28-2019, 10:21 AM

Really nice to converse with someone that knows the law.
Don't know if you considered this, on level ground, about 6 feet from a closed garage door , turn on the fog lamps and see just what is happening. As you know the light is supposed to shine low to the ground in front of the vehicle to avoid reflective light blinding the driver. Maybe you might see something that could help enLIGHTEN us all, what do you think ?

Old 06-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Talking

The real problem with most aftermarket light setups is that people are installing super bright bulbs without the correct headlight lense to focus the added light. For the most part, when someone purchases the whole headlight, lense included, I have no problem with the light as it is focused away from oncoming traffic.
I retired many years ago, but some of those goofy bulb/incorrect lense setups still garner my high beam salute, you know?

Old 06-28-2019, 10:48 AM

Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks out there that have no idea what that nice blue light on the dash is telling them.

Of course there are some folks that if they could would like an "Old days" airplane searchlight on their vehicle so they could see miles ahead of them. Maybe it has something to do with overdriving your headlights.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:55 AM

I would like to see manufacturers invest a little more in their headlights, as at highway speeds now, almost everyone in the US is over-driving their headlight’s reach. When Consumer Reports tests cars, most of the headlights are rated poor to only good. I’ll have to look to see how CR rated the new Santa Fe’s headlights......

Last edited by SFUltimate; 06-28-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:58 PM

In New York state, having fog lights on when not necessary can give officers reason to stop a vehicle
SUV have their lights a little higher than sedans. This sometimes gets the high beam salute from on coming traffic.

It makes me crazy to see people up grade their brightness to the point of blinding everyone else so they can see more of the road
And then there are those who just drive with high beams on. Even better when they tailgate behind you with their brights on.
When I can not see due to this, I slow down a bit. Cause what is the sense of moving at very high speeds when you can not see where you're going??
Hopefully, they go around. Sorry, pet peeves.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:58 PM

Can I add a little something to this ?
The "Owner's Manual" definition------- something to read when you are stuck on the side of the road waiting for Roadside Assistance.