Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Rear Window noise problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Default Rear Window noise problem

I have an '07 Santa Fe Limited AWD w/Sun roof and have noticed that when I have the rear windows down (none others down) there is a lot of noise. Maybe that's the wrong description. It's almost like there's a pressure issue. The faster you go (it starts around 30) the more pressure is created to the point that I feel my head may explode (ok, maybe not explode, but it hurts). Has anyone else noticed this? Opening the front windows or sun roof relieve the problem, but I'd think that this shouldn't be happening.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Default RE: Rear Window noise problem

I just dropped my rear windows on my 08 Santa Fe for the first time and the popping pressure in the vehicle is unbearable. The more you open the windows and the faster you go, the worse the pressure on your ears. This has to be a design flaw. I may buy some rain deflectors and stick them on. Maybe they will change the air flow and lessen the pressure. As it is now, I won't let the rear seat passangers even try to open the windows. Any other thoughts or solutions?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Years ago, cars had rain channels that changed the airflow over the car. Today, there are no rain channels because they created drag, lowering the highway fuel economy. The result is the noise you are getting. Just about all cars do it.

Basically what's happening is that the air pressure outsideis higher than the interior and as the air enters the inside of the car, the pressure builds until it is equal to outside slipstream and no more air can get in. It then spills out with a little help from venturi effect, then the process starts again. This does this so rapidly that it sounds like a helicopter.

Having both front and rear windows open helps but this problem is not one thatcar designers worry about anymore. This is because most people don't drive with their windows open anymore; they just keep the A/C on. At highway speeds, windows up and no rain channels help fuel economy (even with A/C on). The window rain deflectors will help slightly but don't expect miracles.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks Nova. I won't waste my money on the deflectors. I'm not much of an AC person though. I'll just have to live with the problem. My Ford Escape never did it, with or without deflectors.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:44 PM

Must be right about manufacturers not worrying about it. I road in an '08 Acadia and it had the same problem.