Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Starting problems with 03 Diesel Sante Fe

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Default Starting problems with 03 Diesel Sante Fe

I recently bought a 2ltr diesel 2003. It started ok when I first bought it but when the cold kicked in recently I have been having starting problems and I can only start it with easy start. I have had the glow plugs changed today but it has the same problem so was not that.

The key fobs also never worked when I purchased and have changed the battery recently. It was about this time that the cold weather settled in and I had problems starting so I am not sure whether it could be that or it is coincidental. I guess I am suspecting some kind of immobilizer kicking in and stopping the fuel. I think I also had it cut out on me once but it may have been that I stalled it as it was pulling of at a roundabout - felt strange at the time and had a little trouble starting it.

The car has problems in starting up on its own whether it is cold or warm.

This is doing my head in and cannot keep using easy start.

Please can anyone help

Old 12-19-2009, 06:09 PM

what country are you in? this would help us greatly since no us versions came with a diesel! mike

Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM

I am from the UK if that helps. The car is currently sitting outside, as i drove the car home from the mechanics without them diagnosing the problem - it cut out on me twice and now the 'Check' light has come on.

I guess a visit to the dealers is necessary.

Has anyone heard of an immobilizer system that cuts the fuel intermittently - I still have a hunch that it could be something to do with putting new batteries into a key fob (which now doesn't work at opening the doors or alarm now).

Am I going mad?

Old 12-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Try turning the ignition key to the on position (but do not start the engine) and then press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote. Some U.S. Hyundai models of this vintage required this step when changing out the remote battery.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ken99
Try turning the ignition key to the on position (but do not start the engine) and then press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote. Some U.S. Hyundai models of this vintage required this step when changing out the remote battery.
Cheers - i'll give it a go tomorrow. Currently 11.50pm here and heavy eyes.

Sounds promising - do you mean press them together or after each other - thanks.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:27 PM

No joy by the way - any other ideas welcome

Old 01-01-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jezzery
No joy by the way - any other ideas welcome
Try turning the key to the ACC positon and then press and hold the lock button on the fob until the corner lights on the car blink. May take 20-30 seconds. Yes, this is another method for U.S. cars so no guaranties.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:04 PM

A quick update everyone:

It was the fuel pump leaking er fuel and not giving enough pressure to the injectors. A new one would have cost £650 to replace, so we opted for them to have a go at putting new seals in which cost £70.

Anyway - luckily that seemed to sort the pump out - the garage then diagnosed one of the injectors to be playing up - £350+VAT+labour at £100 an hour (almost feinted). Opted for them to overhaul it at a bargain price of £90. He said that should pretty much sort it. All working brilliantly so far so no immobilizer probs. All covered under a waranty which cost them £265 (would have done work up to £500.)

Happy man.

Thanks all