Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Transcooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Default Transcooler

I have a 2002 Sante Fe 2wd 6 cyl automatic. Since August 2007 I have been having intermittent issues with my transmission. When putting it in Drive from Park the car would lurch forward. I took it in 8/31 because my check engine light was on and told them about this transmission issue. They replaced 2 sensors to clear the check engine light but couldn't find anything wrong with the transmission. On Nov 12 I took it back to the dealership for the transmission problem whichI was still experiencing. They drove it and said it drove normal. Then they said the problem could be caused by my rear brakes which were bad according to them. Had the rear brakes replaced. The transmission trouble reappeared in mid-December. I came to Atlanta from Florida for the holidays. On my return trip from Atlanta, the check engine light came on and now the car would barely go into gear and when it did the rpms were way high. I immediately drove to the nearest dealership. The said there was no transmission fluid and then went onto to say there was a rock in the transcooler which caused a hole allowing the transmission fluid to leak. They replaced the transcooler but the car is still not driveable. Now they say I need a new transmission and that may not be covered by my warranty because the rock in the transcooler is not a manufacturing defect. This car has only 62,000 miles on it and has been a great car. I feel like the transmission issue was never diagnosed properly by my dealer over 2 separate visits and I should not have to pay for the replacement of the transmission. Any advice? I am new to this forum so sorry for the long post!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Default RE: Transcooler

based on what you were experiencing it seems as if you were having other issues with the transmission(possible faulty solenoids in the trans or wire harness) that like you said wasn't diagnosed properly. now with the damaged transcooler that part the dealer is not responsible for. it's like you got in an accident, busted your radiator and the vehicle overheated causing you an engine, dealer can't be resposible for that. what you can probably argue though is that before you had the trans replaced you had made numerous complaints before the trans went bad. if i were you i wouldcomplain to the DistrictService and Parts Manager, let him or her know your situation, 9 out of10 times they will warranty the trans. youwill have to pay for the cooler though. sorry for the long post