Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

'00 4cyl tps adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Default '00 4cyl tps adjustment

I just bought a 2000 sonata, 4cyl, auto. I need to change thethrottle position sensorbut im still waiting for a service manual, I found webtech but it seems to be down or not working. for the sonata which tps wires do I need to connect to in order to read the voltage and what should the voltage be?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Default RE: '00 4cyl tps adjustment

The service site is touchy about which browser you use, I can only retrieve info with IE. You have to make sure you have all the required viewers downloaded and installed.

The site shows a 4 pin connector with an alignment lug in the middle. Looking at the plug on the harness with the lug up, pin #1 should be on the left, pin #4 on the right. Test pin #1 for continuity to ground. With the ignition key on, test pin #4 for voltage in a range of 4.25 to 4.7 VDC on the harness. For the TPS itself, voltage should be 300 to 900 mVDC at idle. If you loosen the screws holding the TPS, the site says you increase voltage by turn the TPS clockwise. Voltage wide open should equal the harness voltage. I hope this makes sense.

Oops, I forgot to mention pin #3 is TPS output, so an ohmmeter connected between #1 and #3 on the sensor will read changes in resistance as the throttle is opened and closed as a quick check before you check the voltage differences between a closed and open throttle body.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:46 PM

ok so key on with engine not running if the TPS plug is not attached pin 4 should have between 4.25 and 4.7 VDC. when I plug the TPS in and turn the key back on I measure voltage at pin 3. so probe the wire for pin 3 with one lead from my multimeter and the other lead go to a ground source. at full throttle I want to see the same voltage as I determined pin 4 has and idle somewhere between 300 and 900 mVDC. sounds good. had to retype that and read it back to myself to understand it better.

about webtech though. I have IE, I guess I need to go read the site to find out what viewers I need.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:19 PM

Yes, you have the setup correct. The only other advice I'd give concerns your multimeter. When measuing mV, it never hurts to put a fresh battery in it particularly if it's been a year or more. The reference voltage inside the unit is critical for accurate measurements.

Also, the service site I refer to is the Hyundai site at http://www.hmaservice.com/.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 PM

yah I have been there. I keep getting this after I hit "create account"

The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500
[/align]

Most likely causes:
[ul]The website is under maintenance.
The website has a programming error.[/ul]

I am running windows vista, and using IE.the website requirment of adobe svg viewer I dont think will work for me as there is no version for vista. but this does not look like the problem. it looks like a site error.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 PM

You getting the same errors I got when I tried to use the site with Firefox on XPSP2. Sorry, but I have no solution for the quirks of this location. Too bad, it's full of good info for a DIY type with a Hyundai.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 PM

hrmm. weird. anyway pin 4 was 5.1 volts so I adjusted full throttle for that. idle was .83 mVDC after doing that. hoping the tranny starts doing its thing properly with the new tps in and adjusted. old one didnt do anything at slight throttle and made the tranny do weird things as well.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:59 PM

anyway pin 4 was 5.1 volts so I adjusted full throttle for that.
Hmmm, you might wish to set the open thottle voltage back to 4.7 VDC and then check the closed throttle voltage. If the closed throttle voltage is still within specs, I'd leave it there. The sensor feeds directly back to the ECM. Voltage limits are usually set for a reason and the ECM is an expensive item to replace.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 PM

I was actually thinking that this afternoon on my drive home. I have a 45 minute drive each way to work, lots of time to think about stuff, especially since I still have to put a stereo in(previos ownere cut the harness so makes my task more difficult)

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 PM

Good, I'm glad someone else uses their commute time the same way I do.

FYI, check out this thread:

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/m_7107/tm.htm

Doohickie, the forum moderator, provides a URL to a guide he authored about using the Hyundai service site. I plan on studying it myself. I manage to find some info quickly, but some stuff is really a struggle to unearth.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: '00 4cyl tps adjustment