Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

02 V6 Sonata's been sitting for a year+ -won't start

Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Default 02 V6 Sonata's been sitting for a year+ -won't start

I'm trying to get this beast back up and running. I've replaced the back brakes completely as that's why it was parked originally -the brakes were completely seized.
The car is a friend's and, if i can fix it it's mine. At this point I don't have much info on it other than it's an 02 with a v6.
The car cranks but doesn't fire. I've even used the quick start aerosol can (ether).
He had it running this summer -moved it up and down the driveway with the back brakes seized and wheels skidding behind him. That's the last time he started it until I tried.
I got in it and the gas was empty. I've brought it up to 1/4 tank. I had to pull the starter and clean it up as it wasn't engaging.
I've tried boosting it and I'm suspecting the battery's had it. I pulled the battery and charged it but either my old charger or the battery isn't up to par -the car wouldn't crank without boosting it.
The only symptom is that one of the times I tried cranking the engine, I didn't turn the key to the off position (left it in the run position after releasing it from start position). There was a constant "rattling" sound from what turned out to be a black unit located at or near the top of passenger side firewall, It had a cable which ran to the carb. The "rattling" didn't stop until I shut off the key and then never returned. I thought I'd get a manual and look up the name of the part but I can't find it yet.
Is this ringing any bells with anyone? I'd rather get it started (cheaply) before I invest any real money in it.

So, I decided to rule out the questionable battery issue. I used a fully charged booster pack with 1500 cold cranking amps. There was no hesitation in the starter and the engine sounded like it "wanted to start" -there seemed to be a slight "chug" with every revolution -that could have been merely a compression sound, for all I know.
At least the battery is completely ruled out. This "no-start" issue reminds me of the old Dodge products; whenever this happened, you ran out to the nearest parts place and picked up a ballast resistor, put it in and away you went! I guess there's nothing like this in a Hyundai....? (I guess that's known as wishful thinking).
I just spoke with the owner and he says that we're still at least 15000 km (9,000 miles) away from the recommended timing belt change time.
Next, I'll check the plugs and see what condition they're in although I can't imagine them all corroding to a "no-fire" condition within a few months (again, it started and ran without a problem this past summer).

I'll find out more info about the car and it's history and post it ASAP

Sorry about the "wordy" post....
Ross

Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM

that black box is the cruise control module...