Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

03 ecm location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Default 03 ecm location?

03 sonata where is the ecm located? Is it in the dashboard and how do i get it out.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Before I tell you, could you please explain why you would want to do that?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Car stalls. it will run for a while then stall and wont start it just cranks after about 5 min it will start again. first i had 2 codes come up maf and crankshaft sensor. Then I cleared the codes and ran it in my driveway and it stalled. Then i had 3 codes come up Maf crank and cam position sensor. thinking maybe the ecm is bad. I am replacing the maf as soon as it gets here (had to order it)

Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by gussetgus
Car stalls. it will run for a while then stall and wont start it just cranks after about 5 min it will start again. first i had 2 codes come up maf and crankshaft sensor. Then I cleared the codes and ran it in my driveway and it stalled. Then i had 3 codes come up Maf crank and cam position sensor. thinking maybe the ecm is bad. I am replacing the maf as soon as it gets here (had to order it)
Sounds like a bad crankshaft rotation sensor. These tend to develop temperature sensitivity when they start to go bad. Next time it stalls and will not start, check for spark and the smell of fuel at the exhaust. A bad rotation sensor will shut off both. The MAF may have problems, but I've never experienced a bad MAF keeping the engine from starting.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM

thanks Will do. ill let you know what happens.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:43 PM

Ok got the car to stall have no spark like you said. Next question would a bad crank rotation sensor cause the car to throw other codes? Besides the crank code i get the maf which i just put a new one on, camshaft position and iat sensor codes. Just asking because the crankshaft sensor is a pain to get at. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

Did you clear the codes after you installed the MAF? Codes don't clear themselves, you have to clear them with the scanner.

More than likely your problem is the crank sensor if there is no spark and it gave the crank sensor code.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Yes I cleared the codes with the scanner. Next up Ill replace the crank sensor. Thanks for all your help it is appreciated. Ill keep you informed.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Banned

If you replaced the MAF and you're still getting MAF codes, then look for an intake leak, like a split in the intake rubber. Or you might have a cracked intake manifold.

Change the crank sensor, see if the MAF sensor problem goes away. Let us know what happens.

Last edited by jsinton; 05-13-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 PM

took it all apart this evening. Figured i would change the timing belt since it is apart. good thing too as the old belt was missing some teeth. when I took the bottom cover off all the pieces fell out.. I am changing the sensor in the morning, the parts store had to order one. Maybe some junk off the timing belt was interfering with the sensor.

Quick Reply: 03 ecm location?