Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

04 Turning over but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Default 04 Turning over but doesn't start

I'm in need of help please. I don't want to have to take it to a dealer if I don't need to. Husband is out of work and I can't afford what they will charge unless I have no choice.

I'll start from the begining.

Last week on my way home my check engine light came on. Came home and checked the oil and it was really low so I added some (I know that won't trip the light). Went to AutoZone the next day and they pulled P0445. When I asked them if it would cause problems driving they said no its just the emmission system and you won't pass inspection. When I got home that night I called the dealership and they were basically no help at all. He said it could be anything from the gas cap to a valve. He said to try taking off the cap and make sure it clicks atleast 3 times. IF that was the problem after 15 cycles it would go away. I did it and it seemed to have worked because the light went off.

Yesterday I had my brother in law change my breaks and look around at what nds to be done in the future as far as work so that I can fix it before a problem happens. I was almost on E when he put it up on the jacks to change the breaks.When looking around he said my air filter was filty and needed to be changed soon. Also sprayed b-12 chemtool in the air intake vavle (Its the metal part of the engine in the far back that has the hose that goes to the air filter) to help with gas mileage I think is what he said. He finished everything started it and pulled it off to the side to start on my sisters breaks. When I went outside to start my car it would turn but not catch and start. My husband and him turned it on while pumping the gas several several several times. At that time they notice the check engine light (which normally is on until the car starts fully) and the gas light was on. Added about 1 gallon and tried starting it again. After no luck he assumed that we flooded the engine and just needed to leave it be over night. Again today same thing going on. I then added 5 more gallons of fuel and tried to start it w/o pumping. I read somewhere that if this happens remove the fuel pump fuse and try and crank it while pumping but that didn't help. Is it the plugs? IF so how do you remove them and either change them or dry them out or change them. My brother in law thinks its the fuel pump and if it is I'll have to take it in. Does this have to do with the code or what? I'm just going crazy. Its my only car so if I take it to the dealer then I won't be able to get to work and then I can't pay the dealer. Its a 4 cylinder standard Sonata. Timing belt changed about 6 months ago by the dealer.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned
Default RE: 04 Turning over but doesn't start

Sounds like he hosed down the MAF sensor with a harsh chemical. It has nothing to do with the PO455 code. The PO455 code means you have a leak in the gas tank hoses, or somebody forgot to put the gas cap back on, it doesn't cause the car not to run. But hosing down the MAF sensor with a harsh chemical like that can destroy it PDQ and it WILL NOT RUN w/o a MAF sensor. MAF sensors are very delicate. A new one cost more than $200, or maybe $160 on eBay.

So try to explain to me better what this "B12 Chemtool" is, what is it made from, what is it used for? So does it run at all?

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM

I'm not sure what it does exactly. However we just pulled the spark plugs off and they smelled really bad like fuel so we are changing those out and it should fix the no fire issue. It has about 104,000 miles on it and I'm not the original owner so I never had a warranty on it. I'll post again if it doesn't work.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:03 PM

A new problem started to happen yesterday on my way to work. Now while driving down the highway it is 'hiccuping'. It will act as if its falling asleep by the rpms dropping for a few seconds then its like it wakes back up and the shoot back up to normal. Some times it will only be fora very brief time and others it lasts a few seconds. When pressing on the gas it seems to make the rpms go back up however it doesn't stop it from happening. I'm not sure if its a loss of air flow or gas. It doesn't happen while deaccelerating or accelerating it only happens at constant speed.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

This is why you should go to a trained mechanic at the dealer. I realize you think you are saving money by getting your brother-in-law to "fix" it but all you did was damage your car further and created MORE expence for yourself. Please take it to a real mechanic before serious damage is done.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM

I actually already have a appt tomorrow at the dealership I was just curious as to what the issue could be is all.