Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

07 sonata V6 transmission whinning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Default 07 sonata V6 transmission whinning?

Just wondering if any of you have come across this whinning noise - sounds like comming from transmission - the noise is always there, parked,idling, or driving. Yes, there has been a trans fluid change at around 60,000 miles now at 100,000 miles. Fluid looks good and proper level. The whinning noise sounds just like how you say the word whine. Thanks ahead.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 PM

Trans have a small degree of whir, from the couple actual gears inside, and small increase in tooth lash, along with clearances of bearings and races opening up.. was there at 60, and there at 100, no complaints of drive concerns... keep driving.

Have you actually opened hood and listened to where sound is actually coming from??? I put idler pulleys on all the time as the ball/race noise in bearing makes for an engine speed related whine line P/S pump noise or GM 3.8 Supercharger whir sound.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Default whine noise

Thanks for reply. No noise at 60. Noise started around 95K - My wifes car - what a negletor - poor car, LOL. I'll get a chance Sunday afternoon to check, then post back. Driveability has not been affected at all. Also I had replaced a defective gas pedal, and I think a sensor on throtle body could be in store for replacement, due to engine light comes on then I lose all driveability, like your in gear and you lose all transmission power, but engine idles/revs fine. Turn car off,then restart,engine light goes away, and all is back to full driveability - Must be GREMLINS.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by dman66
*** and I think a sensor on throttle body could be in store for replacement, due to engine light comes on,, then I lose all driveability, like your in gear and you lose all transmission power, but engine idles/revs fine. Turn car off,then restart,engine light goes away, and all is back to full driveability - Must be GREMLINS.
Scan it , find 2135, 2106, 1295..... replace TPS,, and install latest available PCM upgrade (package deal),,, do them all the time.