Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

1995 Sonata 3.0V6 stuttering/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Default 1995 Sonata 3.0V6 stuttering/stalling

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and hope to find some answers to my problem, as this car ist not very common in Austria, where I live. So please forgive me the mistakes I make

Since lets say 4 years there is sometimes the situation, that the car stalls when driving. This means, you can watch the RPM in the dash go to zero and back within half a second, the car "jumps" and runs fine again, until the next stutter. Now this came now and then, for the last year there was everything fine. But yesterday it all came back even worse. Constant stalls, I two times even couldn't start it at once, only after playing with the gas pedal. Or (while driving) the RPM went to zero, stayed there, and I hat to change the gear D-N-D to bring it back to life.
So these 3 situations are existing as far as I can tell.

It appears that the problem is more likely when the motor is warm.
Yesterday I suddenly noticed a higher idle at about 1300, but this went back to normal after some revs.

I don't really know where to start to look for the problem. I suppose it's some kind of sensor (Kurbelwelle - might be crankshaft?) or ignition problem?
I hope this friday I can go to a dealer to check for fault codes. Meanwhile, any suggestions will be highly appreciated!