Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2001 Sonata 2.4L 6: low miles: should I replace timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Default 2001 Sonata 2.4L 6: low miles: should I replace timing belt?

I'm original owner, vehicle (over 8 years old) has only 40K miles or so. Ignoring the warranty issue (I'd replace if keeping the warranty up), does the timing belt really have to be replaced with so few miles on it? How worried should I be that the worst might happen? Dealer wants an inordinate amt to replace belt, imo...$1100. Maybe he wants to replace everything in sight once he gets in there, but it's not money I'm happy to part with at this time. So, I'm trying to weigh the alternatives: car has 21 mos left on warranty if I keep up the required maintenance schedule, (pay $1100. to replace belt...why the hell so expensive?) or forget the warranty, take my chances, and replace at 60K. Car would be out of warranty then anyway, probably.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Lack of use is sometimes just as harsh on a car as over use. If it were me, I'd change the belt.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM

Yes, I would replace it. That engine is notorious for chewing up belts. I am surprised that you have been able to go 8 years on the original belt. You are living on borrowed time. You do know that is an interference engine and if the belt breaks the head is shot. It would cost more to fix it than the car is worth. You can get the belt done at an independent shop for half of what the dealer wants. I would consider replacing the water pump and the tensioner at the same tine. Should only be extra charge for the parts since he's already in there for the belt. (maybe a smidgen labor for the pump). If the tensioner or the pump bearings freezes up the belt will break. Even if the water pump starts leaking, it will be the same cost for the labor as replacing the belt. That engine may have a balance shaft belt also.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM

BTW, you have no warranty now if the belt breaks. You should have replaced the belt at 48 months. Look at your owners manual. You have been living on borrowed time for the LAST 4 YEARS.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Default Your replies: 2001 Sonata 2.4L 6: low miles: should I replace timing belt?

Thanks NovaResource and Partner for your replies. Just some quick comments.
Partner: "You have been living on borrowed time for the LAST 4 YEARS."

I know, but it's a calculated risk. Someone would have to do lots of convincing to persuade me that a car with 20K miles after 4 years needed a new timing belt. At 40K after 8 years,that may be a different story. I'll probably replace it. Have no idea why the dealer estimate is so high. I should ask them again what they'd plan on doing. Btw, NovaResource, just to be clear, the car is always being used, but for only about 100 miles per week, and not severely, so the stress conditions are fairly mild, I'd say.

"That engine is notorious for chewing up belts."

I've never heard this before. I don't dispute it, but it's news to me. Is there anywhere you could link that supports that?

Guys, thanks again.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 PM

Actually I was referring to the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine that year. Do you have 4 or 6 cylinder? The 6 that year was a 2.5L.
That was a comment from a Hyundai mechanic. Since I owned one, I decide to believe him.
If I were playing Russian roulette, I would quit after 4 empty cylinders no matter what the payoff would be.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:07 AM

Can't be that hard to do yourself. Have you looked at the on-line service manual to see? I think I will go look too.

I looked, the info is all there, I would attempt it if you are comfortable tearing into an engine. On another forum for Suzukis, they warn of off-brand belts, get Gates, they say, too many junk ones out there. This is an interference engine, so you can't allow any problems or it eats itself.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Sonata 2.4L 6: low miles: should I replace timing belt?-timingbelt1.jpg   2001 Sonata 2.4L 6: low miles: should I replace timing belt?-timingbelt2.jpg   2001 Sonata 2.4L 6: low miles: should I replace timing belt?-timingbelt3.jpg  

Last edited by dbacon; 09-20-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Default replace or not

I believe the recommend replace is 60k miles. However, here is the real question. My timing belt broke at 130k, which i agree is good service. The question is cost. The motor is zero tolerance meaning the cams have to be turning to not have the pistons hit the valves. It is much cheaper to do your preventative repairs than to have the head completely reconditioned. New valves, valve guides, machine shop time and mechanic time. My repair is approaching the $1500 mark. So, as i said the question is a matter of cost.

Hop this helps,
Jerry

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 PM

A picture is always worth a 1,000 words...

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...lure#post20641

Old 10-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Sometimes called "Interference engine". Ford seems to avoid this on their Villager, although the Nissan engine is an interference engine. Ford changes the cam, loses a few HP.

Quick Reply: 2001 Sonata 2.4L 6: low miles: should I replace timing belt?